register for free

Dog News

Bulldog died on a Thomas Cook flight

Thomas Cook Airlines has been found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a dog. Buster, an English Bulldog, was found dead in a transport container on a flight from Cyprus. He belonged to a member of the armed forces who was returning from duty.

During the trial at Mid Sussex Magistrates' Court in Hayward Heath, the court heard that when under stress, 'snub-nosed' breeds such as English Bulldogs can be prone to breathing problems. Buster's container was too small, and the court was told that this caused stress and unnecessary suffering during the flight. Additionally, Buster was subjected to unauthorised personnel moving his container around at Larnaca airport before the flight so that they could take photographs of him, and this was permitted even though it went against Thomas Cook's cargo manual. It was agreed that this may have added to Buster's stress.

Despite denials, Thomas Cook Airlines was found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering, using a transport container that was not of the correct size and two counts regarding the incorrect labelling of the transport container.

Thomas Cook Airlines was fined £6500 and ordered to pay £12000 costs to the West Sussex County Council Trading Standards Service. The company has apologised to the owner of the dog.

Your comments and views:
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Poor Buster

Run free lil chap. x
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Like an apology makes up for this

RIP Buster x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Poor Buster, unfornatly though I do believe that there is always a increased risk for breeds like Bulldogs during times like this, it doesn't make it better, but the conformation of the skull/muzzle can make stressful situations more risky, hopefully though this will be looked into internally, or even with leglisation to prevent this happening again, and to make journeys less stressful for all dogs.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Very sad. I'm glad the airline have been taken to task for their incompetence. Whilst I agree with Chaz that perhaps the way dogs are dealt with during flying could be improved, I also think we should consider the ethics of breeding dogs for a feature that so often causes them to drop dead in such situations.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
PB&J I was also gonna say something more about the conformation to, but thought I might get told off for that lol
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I did reword my comment about a million times trying to be a bit more diplomatic It's something I feel very strongly about though and there's only so much tiptoeing one can do around something so glaring.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I know , it is a shame for this poor dog and owner though, and hopefully it will make companies and owners be more responsible when it comes to air travel, and although all the bull dogs I've met are lovely dogs, and one of them really loved to play, unfornatly when his mind still wanted to it could of been dangerous for his body to keep playing, but these are dogs that people are still breeding, when their is a risk for them to do so naturally, which is why people use AI (been told theres a risk the male could have heart attack), and have a high percentage of c-sections as the porpotion of the dogs is all wrong, although there are some self welpers, tbh it could make me cry, and I do hope that one day dogs are a lot healthier then they are today, but it will prob take a while at least to improve with any real measurements, but I do wish that all the welfare has more considerations, whether health and conformation, and health and well being while travelling and other situations, maybe one day it will be a better place for dogs, but not today, infact I think for different breeds and types its actually getting worse, espcially when moneys brought into it, coz at times it seems that theres a rush for who can produce what the moneys asking for the fastest, not who can produce the most sound dog in both health and temperment.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Very sad Sleep tight Buster.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Many airlines will not fly ANY brachycephalic breeds of dog, because of this risk. A friend who went to live in Thailand almost lost his Pekingese on the journey over.

There are so many breeds of dog with this short-nosed feature, it would be difficult to insist they all be bred with longer noses just for the possibility they may one day have to travel by aircraft.

What is more sensible would be for airlines to review their regulations; to enforce them for rigorously; and to find a way for these dogs to be safely transported if they need to be - even if the flight cost is greatly increased. I can't believe that in this day & age there isn't some way of providing extra air-flow or oxygen to certain animals travelling, if they need it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top