register for free

Dog News

Campaign to stop a local newspaper's 'Shop a Dangerous Dog' campaign

A campaign is up and running to try and stop the Gravesend News Shopper 'Shop a Dangerous Dog Campaign', which is offering a News Shopper mug to people who take photos of dangerous dogs and send them to the newspaper. This is just the tip of the iceberg; the rest of the campaign is as ludicrous and specifically targets Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Rescue kennels are already inundated with this breed.

Despite public outcry last week (and an alleged attack on a dog from someone trying to take a 'vicious photo') they have continued with the campaign this week. An email sent last week to Mr Keel, the writer of the article, received no response. Whilst the masses are in agreement that dog laws need to be amended, the campaign that the News Shopper in Gravesend is running is for 'shock tactics' and specifically targets Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

The campaign 'Stop the News Shopper Dangerous Dogs Campaign' is hoping to get enough online support to urge the local MP to request that the News Shopper retract their campaign. Battersea Dogs Home have written to the News Shoppers Letters Editor, stating that the newspaper is “fuelling the abuse and abandonment of a much-maligned breed (Staffordshire Bull Terrior) which does not deserve its negative reputation”.

The MP, Adam Holloway, can be contacted at:
House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA

By email:
hollowaya@parliament.uk

By phone:
House of Commons: 020 7219 8402
Gravesham: 01474 332097

Your comments and views:
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I saw this outrageous thing when it came out....left me speechless angry and very sad
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2011, 09:33 PM
A proper witch hunt against staffords..
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I'll also have a look & do what I can xx
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Aren't journalists supposed to be educated? really?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:02 PM
shocking but sadly not surprising the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to perpetuating the staffie situation. well done for trying to do something about it
Gemma2212
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Everyone, thank you for your support - all this campaign will do is end up doing is reinforcing the bad image that Staffie's already have.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:14 PM
outrageous and ridiculous witch hunt on dogs which is only serving the purpose of having a lot of innocent dogs and their owners go through hell and back

If someone has an incident with a genuinely dangerous dog then I am sure the police service and dog warden can follow that up, without unnecessary publicity stunts like this.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top