register for free

Dog News

Dog goes under the knife for plastic surgery

A St. Bernard called Boyce is now one of a handful of dogs in Britain to have received a facelift. Boyce was not checked-in for vanity purposes nor was he looking to knock a few years off his face – in fact he suffered from excess skin folds which left him blind.

Dogs Trust veterinary director Paula Boyden said “This condition is often seen in Shar Peis and is quite unusual for a St. Bernard to suffer this badly. Prior to his facelift Boyce would have suffered terribly with sore eyes caused by the constant rubbing of skin folds on his eyeballs.
The operation took place by removing a section of skin on the top of his head, so his skin could be ‘lifted’ and stitched back together meaning his vision was restored. Resorting to a facelift demonstrates the severity of the poor dog’s condition and we’re delighted that Boyce will now be able to lead a happy and healthy life.”

The big and bouncy dog has recently recovered from his first facelift, but it doesn’t stop there for Boyce, who is scheduled in for further plastic surgery to improve his quality of life:

Dogs Trust Canterbury manager Adam Levy said, “Boyce’s next operation will reshape his eyelids to further improve his eyesight and reduce the pain and discomfort. He’s a tough lad who bounces back quickly and is receiving lots of love and care from our dedicated canine carers. Despite his veterinary ordeal, Boyce is a happy chappy and once he’s fully recovered will available for rehoming.”

If you think you can offer Boyce or any of his canine chums at Dogs Trust Canterbury please contact the centre at Radfall Road, Chestfield, Nr Whitstable, Kent, CT53ER or call 01227 792 505

Your comments and views:
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Poor dog, I would like to think that his breeder is helping with the costs at least, but somehow I doubt it .
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:13 AM
hope this wasn't the reason he was put in rescue.........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I would like to think that his breeder is helping with the costs at least, but somehow I doubt i
Unless the breeder knows he needed surgery, its unfair to assume they would not help cover costs.

I assume the dog was given up to rescue....

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top