register for free

Dog News

The state of the dog world..

Over the last 18 months, the number of abandoned dogs put to sleep in Nottingham has reached 160. Mostly non-aggressive and healthy, and including puppies, young dogs and abandoned bitches, the majority of the dogs were Staffordshire bull terriers. Dog control officers are upset and angry but say that because they cannot find homes for such a high number of dogs, the strain on resources leaves them with no choice but to choose which dogs are re-homeable – the others being put to sleep.

There is wide agreement that the blame lies with over-breeding and money-driven, irresponsible owners, with the Notts and Derby Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club sharing the concerns. A local kennel owner, reporting an increase in the number of Staffordshire bull terriers at his kennels needing new homes, is calling for regulated licensing for breeders.

Story by Lucky Star; brought to our attention by SLB

via This is Nottingham

Your comments and views:
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Very sad. There was an informative tv programme on about the same issue. They showed a vet who had to take the dogs to be put to sleep in a garage outside the vets as the staff at his vets could not cope with seeing the healthy dogs put to sleep.

Shame the owners don't have to be there to administer the lethal injection.

I got in to to a bit of a ding-dong with a work colleague after watching this tv programme as she has a friend who breeds Staffies.

Another work colleague was looking for a new dog and although she supports Battersea she had to look elsewhere as practically all the dogs they had in were Staffies which was a breed she didn't want.

What is the answer though? If there are not enough suitable homes/owners willing to take these dogs is it right to keep them in kennels indefinitely when other dogs could be taken in and rehomed? It is very hard.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
This is such a sad situation. There have been many discussions on here, but no solutions.

It is such a shame that more than half the dogs in rescues are staffs/staffie X. When we adopted Mindy, it was the same situation, but they have such a terrible reputation. People are frightened of taking on a possible aggressive dog. I myself have owned a DA Staff. It was really difficult, but we stuck with her. We loved her, looked after her extremely well, but admittedly, would not like to have to go through it again. Sorry.

So, what are the answers?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I am just frustrated how many people don't want Staffies. So many people will look at rescue but there condition is always" but I don't want a staffie"
I find that very sad, we have to change the public perception of these dogs!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I was really pee'd off today. I went to pick up a greyhound at the pound and there were 2 staffies there who had killed a small dog. The owner then demanded that they get put down and took them to the pound. They are now on death row because the owner didn't put them on a lead when he saw a youngster walking the other dog. I am currently enquiring whether a staffie rescue would take them on the stipulation that they are the only dogs and their history is revealed. I don't hold out much hope though. I have one day to sort it. They are so friendly too, giving me kisses through the bars. Then I had to turn my back on them and walk out in tears.
Right at that time I felt like giving up because I just can't stand seeing them looking at me, wagging their tails and wanting a cuddle.
Human beings have a lot to answer for.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I am just frustrated how many people don't want Staffies. So many people will look at rescue but there condition is always" but I don't want a staffie"
I find that very sad, we have to change the public perception of these dogs!

Other half and I are in the process of considering our second dog, as we always planned to adopt two. I would LOVE a staffy, sadly Jon is not so keen. His initial reason was that he's had a bad experience with a staffy type dog attacking one of his mother's dogs when he was walking them. I've found him some really good staffy videos and got him to realise that most staffies are lovely dogs, but now he keeps saying he's worried about us getting a staffy or a staffy cross in case the dog falls foul of the DDA and is deemed to be "of type". Considering some of the things I've read recently, I don't see how I can reassure him on this.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
its bad enough being involved in springer rescue at the moment it would break my heart to be involved in staffy rescue and have to play god on a daily basis.

always said i would have a staffy or staffy cross and have ended up with one by default, as Fudge has grown up i'm certain that he has some in him, he's utterly people orientated and totally devoted to me
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Other half and I are in the process of considering our second dog, as we always planned to adopt two. I would LOVE a staffy, sadly Jon is not so keen. His initial reason was that he's had a bad experience with a staffy type dog attacking one of his mother's dogs when he was walking them. I've found him some really good staffy videos and got him to realise that most staffies are lovely dogs, but now he keeps saying he's worried about us getting a staffy or a staffy cross in case the dog falls foul of the DDA and is deemed to be "of type". Considering some of the things I've read recently, I don't see how I can reassure him on this.
If y go to breed rescue then you will generally only get pure staffie as mostly we just cannot accept staff crosses as we don't have enough room for the pure Staffies never mind their cousins.
I can assure you won't regret a staffie they are such loving happy dogs and just fantastic!

Believe it or not I wasnt a staffie fan, we looked after hubby's cousins one for a week and within a day I was sold- we went out and rescued a dog aggressive one and never looked back - I now help to run a staffie rescue 8 years later!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I was at Babbington earlier on in the week and I think out of all the kennels that the public had access to, only about 2 of the dogs were not bull breeds.

I wonder which rescues are PTS dogs then as Babbington is a no kill rescue, as is Jerry Green.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I was at Babbington earlier on in the week and I think out of all the kennels that the public had access to, only about 2 of the dogs were not bull breeds.

I wonder which rescues are PTS dogs then as Babbington is a no kill rescue, as is Jerry Green.
Maybe it's the dogs the wardens have picked up but couldn't find rescue places for?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top