View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 04:48 PM

Growl Classes (using stooges with dog-aggressive dogs - anyone tried them?)

Has anyone tried these? Any recommendations for one in the South East?

These are kind of rehab classes for dogs that have behaviour problems with other dogs and keep trying to fight them. I think they are related to the APDT and supposed to be a way of getting your dog out of that behaviour. They aren't recommended for dogs that actually injure other dogs though. Loki has a problem with other dogs but has never injured one and I wondered if these might be helpful in getting him out of that behaviour.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Eh? I dont understand?

Sorry if im being dense!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Just re-read my post and see what you mean!

These are kind of rehab classes for dogs that have behaviour problems with other dogs and keep trying to fight them. I think they are related to the APDT and supposed to be a way of getting your dog out of that behaviour. They aren't recommended for dogs that actually injure other dogs though. Loki has a problem with other dogs but has never injured one and I wondered if these might be helpful in getting him out of that behaviour.

Might try to edit my original post to say this.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2006, 08:27 PM
hi i used to do growl classes when i worked at battersea for dogs with dog/dog problems, they are excellant for retraining dogs, you use stooge dogs(these are dogs that do not react to other dogs but will try to initiate friendly body languge and play behaviour) basically they teach dogs to become relaxed around other dogs and not to react to a dog , they are not for dogs that have serious aggression problems with other dogs(ie dogs that attack on sight) these dogs need far more intensive work b4 being ready for a growl class!!! contact your local apdt trainer they should be able to help
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by murphydog
hi i used to do growl classes when i worked at battersea for dogs with dog/dog problems, they are excellant for retraining dogs, you use stooge dogs(these are dogs that do not react to other dogs but will try to initiate friendly body languge and play behaviour) basically they teach dogs to become relaxed around other dogs and not to react to a dog , they are not for dogs that have serious aggression problems with other dogs(ie dogs that attack on sight) these dogs need far more intensive work b4 being ready for a growl class!!! contact your local apdt trainer they should be able to help

Thanks for the explanation MD. "Growl classes" - I had visions of dogs in a circle eyeing each other up and seeing who could growl the loudest
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by pod
Thanks for the explanation MD. "Growl classes" - I had visions of dogs in a circle eyeing each other up and seeing who could growl the loudest

Thanks for that info.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Awwwwwwwwwww! Now i understand! lol thanks that makes much more sense. Fraid i dont know of any though sorry. Hope you find a good one though and let us know how he gets on!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 03:11 PM
This is not the right "end" for you but you might be interested in

www.dog-partnership.co.uk

Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 06:05 PM
hi lucky star, as far as i know many behaviourists do not recommend growl classes.
I cant seem to remember why now.. perhaps do a search on it on google and see if u can get different points of view from trainers.

if i were you, i would find a good behaviourist in ur area recommend by your vet, preferably a member of the apbc.