Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
redslk
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Advice feeding puppy a raw diet please

Hi all! My puppy comes home on Sunday and we are so excited He is currently being given Wagg puppy mushed up with milk/water. We have brought a pack of the same as obviously we'll need to gradually wean him over to a raw diet.

I've been trawling the net but can't find any set advice for this, but logic tells me the following should work:

- Gradually start making the Wagg puppy less mushy every day.

- Start giving him a teeny bit of raw meat (maybe after he's been home a week or so) to see how he copes.

- Gradually wean him over to raw, keeping a close eye on upset tummy situations!!

Our other dog has raw so we have a freezer full, presumably I don't have to use a particular food as raw is raw right?! I was thinking I'd start with minced chicken as that should be easy to eat and gentle..
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
The change over to raw can be very quick, many people change directly from one to the other, I did this with my last puppy and had no nasty side affects or upset tummies. Offer as many different meat types as you like and as soon as you like, and don't forget the raw bones for extra nutrition, healthy teeth and gums.
When feeding raw, there is no such thing as "puppy " food, it is all the same. If you have loads of meat in the freezer, just continue to use it for your puppy.
Remember, a variety of different meats is good, offal in small quantities is essential and raw bones too.
I start my puppies on raw chicken bones at 4 to 5 weeks of age. (they soon learn what to do with them)

Good luck.
redslk
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
The change over to raw can be very quick, many people change directly from one to the other, I did this with my last puppy and had no nasty side affects or upset tummies. Offer as many different meat types as you like and as soon as you like, and don't forget the raw bones for extra nutrition, healthy teeth and gums.
When feeding raw, there is no such thing as "puppy " food, it is all the same. If you have loads of meat in the freezer, just continue to use it for your puppy.
Remember, a variety of different meats is good, offal in small quantities is essential and raw bones too.
I start my puppies on raw chicken bones at 4 to 5 weeks of age. (they soon learn what to do with them)

Good luck.
Oh wow that's great thank you. Yes we have loads of raw bones, offal, slabs of meats and also the minced meats. We will get him straight on it then! I think he's going to love it.

As I right to assume that things like chicken thighs/legs he won't be able to eat the entire lot (inc bone) due to having puppy teeth?

Thanks so much!
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2019, 05:31 PM
When we have puppies they are offered their first raw bones at 4 to 5 weeks of age, as mentioned. By the time they are 8 weeks of age, chicken wings and carcasses are completely eaten, even with the puppy teeth.
The leg and thigh bones should be soft enough for your puppy to eat. What breed of puppy are you getting, you must be very excited!

PS.
Take care with man made treats as these could upset a puppies tummy, try offering pieces of raw fruit or veg for healthy treats.
However we never reward with edible treats!!

Have fun with your puppy and maybe post a picture too for us to see.