Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 04:35 PM

'Lily's Kitchen': experiences/opinions?

I've been looking into dog food (Fed our previous dog Pedigree as we hadn't looked into it), and have come across all the high-end, natural, good quality foods, and the two that caught my eye particularly are Lily's Kitchen and Forthglade.I think I'm going with Lily's, as the meat is organic and sourced from animals who are treated well, where Forthglade are pretty vague on this (emailed them).

Before I place an order though, I want to check that it gets good reviews from people who are using it?

Planning on going with the tinned puppy food, and chicken & duck kibble to start with (my dog will be nearly 11 months when we get him)
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Why are you thinking of feeding an 11month old dog on puppy food. Not that you need to feed a puppy 'puppy food' really.
As for Lily's Kitchen, I raw feed and don't see the point behind Lily's Kitchen. They aren't doing anything you can't do yourself, and charging you a fortune for it. If you look at the ingredients its not all meat, just a percentage
One of my new puppy owners about 2 years ago, rang me all excited about Lily's Kitchen, but when I pointed out to him that he was already doing a better job at a lower price and he knew what he was giving his puppy, he agreed. The hype is good, but if you think about it in a common sense way, you can see thats all it is - hype.
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I thought he was still a puppy.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2013, 05:29 PM
One of my girls is 10 months coming up to 11 months and she has what the others have, only more than her mother and aunt because they are big enough and don't need to 'grow' anymore All these 'special diets' are a catch penny. Common sense tells me that I need to ensure I don't overfeed and also that I don't underfeed. I don't need a packet of whatever to tell me that and try and brainwash me into believing the claims made on the packet.
I hear the latest ingredient in one well known and expensive food is actually bird feathers!!!! No idea what it is heavily disguised as in gobbleydook, but the fact is that people are paying vast amounts of money to feed their dogs cr@p
zarah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I've not fed Lily's Kitchen but it looks pretty good to me and is most certainly in a completely different league to the likes of Pedigree.

Don't think you'd go far wrong with it. Nothing "offensive" in the ingredients list as far as I can see. You could always do a Google search to see if you can find any reviews.

I fed puppy food when mine was that age. Horses for courses and all that
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by zarah View Post
I've not fed Lily's Kitchen but it looks pretty good to me and is most certainly in a completely different league to the likes of Pedigree.

Don't think you'd go far wrong with it. Nothing "offensive" in the ingredients list as far as I can see. You could always do a Google search to see if you can find any reviews.

I fed puppy food when mine was that age. Horses for courses and all that
Thank you What do you feed,.if you don't mind my asking?
The puppy thing is baffling me! I initially thought he was more classed as an adult (I've never dealt with young dogs before!) but some dog friends unanimously agreed he's a puppy!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Honest it is all a load of hype!!!! Mine have never ever had
'puppy food' I have just been sensible about what I feed them. Not saying there is anything 'bad' in Lily's-better than Pedigree I agree - but you can do much the same yourself at much less cost
I also breed and the babies don't get 'puppy food' either

There's some recent piccies of my dogs on this thread,
I have 2 that are almost 8 years old, 1 is 20 months (Mabs) and Keshi is the one that is coming up to 11 months
Lona and Mabs (Utonagan)
they don't look deprived, underfed etc in anyway do they
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I always thought that dogs under a year old were classed as puppies in general

Once you get into different breeds it gets a little more complicated A small breed like a jack russell or a chihuahua might be fully grown at 8 months (for example), but a giant breed may keep growing (mentally and physically ) for 2 or more years
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Don't understand why all these 'specific' foods that have appeared over the last few years. There's even breed specific ones now for goodness sake.
Totally and utterly unnecessary. Am now getting hip/elbow results from the babies I have bred and they are all well under our breed mean average, showing that I am NOT wrong!!! Poor or incorrect nutrition would not bring the results I am getting.
zarah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
Thank you What do you feed,.if you don't mind my asking?
The puppy thing is baffling me! I initially thought he was more classed as an adult (I've never dealt with young dogs before!) but some dog friends unanimously agreed he's a puppy!
I feed a right old mixture. Mine is 9 now but when he was a puppy Nutro lamb and rice was a favourite with lots of doggy people - it would probaby be seen as quite low end these days!

Mine generally has quite a varied menu. Some days he has kibble (well soaked for about an hour as he's a large breed prone to bloat) with some raw tripe mixed in, other days he has all raw (I order from a company called Manifold Valley Meats) and now and again if I forget to defrost something or am back later than planned and don't want him to have to wait for the kibble to soak then he has wet food (Butchers Tripe, Arden Grange, or Naturediet generally).

I tend to vary what kibble I use. At the moment I have a bag of Vitalin lamb and rice on the go and a bag of Simpsons lamb and potato. I have tried him on afew of the high end kibbles over the years including Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Acana, etc but they all seem to make him rather squitty. I suspect he has a problem with chicken and turkey and also doesn't do well on too much fish, so I stick to what works for him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >