Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Putting veg through a blender imitates the first stage of digestion in a herbivore, the idea behind it being that when eating a kill the stomach contents are eaten,i.e. partially digested vegetable matter. However I have heard that this is a fallacy, not sure if it is true or not to be honest. :
I read that too, park rangers in Yellowstone claimed that unless the wolves were starving, the stomach was often left. But then wolves will no doubt eat a lot of mice so will eat the stomachs of those.
The only need I've come across for dogs and carbs was that they needed a very very small amount for the health of nerve endings, which I think was in a paper by Wendy Volhard. I would guess though that most if not all dogs will get carbs, even if they are raw fed, everyone gives their dog a biscuit or some such every now and then.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I would guess though that most if not all dogs will get carbs, even if they are raw fed, everyone gives their dog a biscuit or some such every now and then.
My younger dog rarely does though, as he has a wheat intolerance. But perhaps he can utilise the carbs from the blitzed veg instead? Or maybe even his daily raw carrot (although that does usually come out much as it went in).
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Unless the carrot is put through a blender then it will go straight through. I do give mine raw carrots as a recreational thing, otherwise all carrots etc are either steamed or blended.
And actually,no, my dogs never ever have biscuits or anything with grains in whatsoever.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Different canids in different contexts consume different parts of animals, the stomach and contents is not likely to be consumed unless desperate but the intestines often are (hence dogs like tripe) which of course contains vegetable matter.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I am one of those shockingly bad peole (owners) who feed kibble (and wet too, Nature diet and Butchers normally)

I fed raw for a few years, and would do still, but poor suppliers, lack of freezer and my empty purse will not allow me to continue with it.

However, my three mutts (different breeds, ages and sizes) are on a average dry food (Skinners or Harringtons) along with the mentioned wet, and maybe some bits of raw when I can get them (or when they find dead bunnie!) and are neither hyper, nor lethargic, and have healthy bowel movements (unlike my toddler...maybe I should try him on the dogs food!) They are acutally not that different to what they were on Raw...Maybe its cos they are old farts!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
You do realise that the food police will now be visiting you don't you!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You do realise that the food police will now be visiting you don't you!
LOL...I know...currently terrified (esp as all three just had a piece of my toast each!)

*should I admit, that Rupert has developed a love for digestive biscuits too (thanks to toddler lobbing them in his directon!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I am afraid I am now going to have to inform Social Services, RSPCA, Dog Warden and the police.

Toddlers eating digestive biscuits!
Toddler throwing missiles to dogs!
Dogs consuming digestive biscuits!

I have to go and lie down now.........
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am afraid I am now going to have to inform Social Services, RSPCA, Dog Warden and the police.

Toddlers eating digestive biscuits!
Toddler throwing missiles to dogs!
Dogs consuming digestive biscuits!

I have to go and lie down now.........
Meanwhile Toddler hysterically laughing

Toddler also loves a cup of tea (Suki tea, cos he is posh!)
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
But high protein isn't high energy, protein in a dog is used for the repair and maintainance of organs and cells, any excess protein is excreted, protein is actually a very poor source of energy and is only used in the absence of carbohydrates.
Carbs on the other hand are the bodies preferred energy source, excess carbs are stored in the liver and as fat.
There are many many owners who's dogs are fed high protein, and they most certainly aren't pinging off the walls.
I don't know about Huskies, I have / had, SBT's, Tibetan Mastiff and GSD's , and I can promise, they have all been perfectly normal on high protein/raw diets.
I am not up on the science, all I know is that from practical experience (on dozens of hyper huskies) lowering the protein level in their food reduces their level of hyperactivity significantly. So, on huskies at least, it appears to work!

Mick
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >