Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-08-2012, 05:26 AM

"Too high on protein".......?

I often see this in threads when some kibbles are being described but I'm never convinced.

What do you think?

PS, these might be of interest:

[link containing dog forum removed]

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosi...-matter-basis/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...?dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I am no expert but I had a Collie/Greyhound cross many years ago who was a nightmare. Over active wasn't in it, no matter what we did with her.
We were advised to feed her a food with a lower protein content.
We did and it did make a difference to activity level. Whether that was coincidence or not I don't know but she did calm down.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2012, 08:58 AM
I've always thought it a load of old tosh, mine were raised on 32% protein and never had a problem with any of them.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've always thought it a load of old tosh, mine were raised on 32% protein and never had a problem with any of them.
The removed link (sorry about that admin ) makes a good point about the quality of protein. In an extreme example leather is protein but it cannot be utilised through digestion. If you think of more realistic examples of this, then the quality of protein becomes important.

For example 50% of poor quality protein where only 25% can be utilised leads to 12.5 of usable content and has a detrimental inpact of body function, such as kidneys.

Whereas a high quality protein sources, e.g. via raw feeding, may give 75% of usable protein, i.e. 37.5g and have little impact on body function.

However, both manufacturers only have to legally state 50g of crude protein (so don't buy cheap dog food!)

So, the link removed makes the point that quality of protein is of far more importance that quantity.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Well when I fed kibble I only ever fed quality kibble and that had a protein level of 32% where as most of the others out there had between 23 and 28 and most people would advocate lower levels of protein which I have never gone along with. My dogs have grown up fine, balanced in mind and body and very rare visitors to the vet. I do now feed raw and have done for a couple of years but have no plan to work out what level of protein there is in it as they are happy and content and thriving which is all I care about to be honest.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well when I fed kibble I only ever fed quality kibble and that had a protein level of 32% where as most of the others out there had between 23 and 28 and most people would advocate lower levels of protein which I have never gone along with. My dogs have grown up fine, balanced in mind and body and very rare visitors to the vet. I do now feed raw and have done for a couple of years but have no plan to work out what level of protein there is in it as they are happy and content and thriving which is all I care about to be honest.
Good post, I think that demonstrates the point about the quality of the protein, either through quality kibble or raw feeding
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi all
All protiens are not created equal, the majority of plant protiens are useless for dogs as they are incomplete and do not contain all the esential amino acids.
The problem with labeling on dog food is they dont have to state where the protein comes from.

you can buy high protein gluten free dog food which has no meat in it what so ever. This type of dog food has almost no nutritional value for you dog. If in doubt email the petfood manufacturer and ask them straight- what is the source of protein?
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm sure some dogs will be affected by a high protein level, but would guess they will be in the minority.
A friend has a very easily stimulated GSD, giving her a high protein food sends her into orbit, but she is the only dog I've come across that reacts like that.

The main problem with the whole high protein debate is that owners don't research exactly what roll protein plays in dogs, majority of people won't look any further than what the food manufacturers tell them.
Thankfully the tide seems to be turning with some of the big players re-assessing the research and information they give out.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I feed between 32 and 42% protein (depending on the food I feed that day) and I dont have hyper dogs... infact quite the opposite. However Mouse needs more fat in her diet to keep weight on.

It really does all depend on the quality, for sure. and dogs can digest plant proteins, and can survive off of vegetarian diets (I say survive, not thrive) but it's alot harder for them to do so, and they are 1000 x better off eating meat proteins. I do know of a Westie with allergies to all meat proteins and was fed a diet consisting of mainly Pinto beans and veggies. This from a breeder who is strictly a raw feeder. (and the breeder my sister's Westie came from) This was not one of her dogs, but one she was trying to save for the Westie Rescue.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I feed Kilper kennel which is 20% protein but, add an egg or a chicken wing or a tin of sardines to that.

A vet told me they think the high instances of cancer nowadays is caused by dogs being fed a higher carb diet. Apparently. There is a lot of research going on about it. Very high protein was fed to dogs with only one kidney or that had cronic kidney failure and no damage was done to the kidneys.

There was an article on here about it a couple of years ago. I printed it off and kept it.

I do not feed rice or pasta anymore.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »