Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2012, 08:20 AM

'Unwell' after spay

Molly was spayed on Thursday, the op went well but they told me there had been some oozing. I brought her home and she has been doing fine. I haven't taken her out (only in the garden to do her business). However, on Saturday I took her out in the car, I stopped at a post box and jumped out to post a letter. When I turned around she had tried to get over from the back of the car onto the back seats and was stuck halfway! She managed to get herself over but I was worried that she may have done some damage. When we got home she seemed absolutely fine so I ceased to worry.

Yesterday and this morning she is not quite herself, she is very quiet (unusually so), she refuses to go out and has spent the whole time laid on the sofa. She doesn't look right in her face (you guys will know what I mean). However, she has eaten her meals and has taken her medication. The wound site looks very clean and appears to be healing well.

I'm a little concerned that there may be something going on under the wound site, or perhaps the beginnings of infection.

She has an appointment with the vet booked for tomorrow at 2.30pm for a post-op examination and vacc booster.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Should I call the vet and get her booked in for today? Or could she just be bored because she hasn't been out on her walks?

Sorry, lots of questions. Molly is my first bitch so this is all new territory for me.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 08:23 AM
I'd book her in for this morning if you can, better to be safe than sorry I think x x But I hope she is fine x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Ring and ask to talk to the vet. It's always better to voice your concerns to them rather than to a receptionist who isn't qualified to advise.

Most vets are pretty good and will avoid an extra appointment if they can.

No one knows your dog better than you and if you think she's not right then she isn't.

It's never wise to leave things because invariably, if something is wrong, the time delay will make matters worse.

Hope your baby is back to full health soon and all this quickly becomes a distant memory
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, I was concerned that I was being a little neurotic! I've rung the vets and she's booked in for 3.45 this afternoon. It's going to be like spinning plates today as I've got to take my mother to the hospital for cataract removal in about an hour. Here's hoping mum is in and out so I'm not pushed too much for time, otherwise I'm afraid mum will have to wait at the hospital until I've taken Molly to the vets!

I'll let you all know how she is later. Thank you x
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Good luck, what a day you have planned x
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I hope Molly is ok.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:21 PM
How's it gone?

I hope everything is OK
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Hoping Molly is ok now, and glad you got her to the vets, you just never know with something like this so soon after an op.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I too really hope that Molly is fine, and that the vet found nothing untoward going on. It is so worrying when they do something that they shouldn't so soon after an op, and then withdraw into themselves..........fingers crossed here.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone, I feel very humbled by your concern.

Molly's temperature was slightly elevated (39) and the vet said that she could feel a hardened ridge/lump under the wound. She told me that this is common in dogs that have not been rested properly after surgery. Although Molly has been rested completely since Thursday, we believe it was the incident in the car that did some minor damage. The vet was not unduly worried and gave us some more anti-inflammatories and some antibiotics, she will see her again on Friday.

I am so relieved! Strangely enough, Molly has perked up a bit since my worry was lifted..................strange how they feed on our emotions isn't it.

All in all, I think Molly is on the road to recovery
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >