18-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
I'd rather toast my own head!
pmsl, me too!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I have just finished watching this on catch up. Must say for me personally I could think of nothing worse than 15 Children I just would not cope. 2 was plenty. Now both left home.

We had time for them which I am not sure you would have with 15. I was adopted it did not and does not make me want to have lots of children. Past all that now anyway so if I changed my mind nature has taken care of it for me.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh forgot to add I used to babysit for 8 children - all full brothers and sisters and they've had another since I stopped. It was fairly easy - granted most were in bed when I went round I couldn't imagine myself in that situation, making them breakfast was a nightmare though, luckily they lived across the road from my Mum so she came over and helped.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Absolute nutter!!!!!!!

So that works out, hmmm, that she receives £10,810 a year in child benefit alone, not to mention all the other benefits because I guess she cannot work.

They should put a limit on it imo!
Did`nt it say she was NOT claiming benefits??

Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
I would dare say it's slightly cruel? If you always have a newborn and a 1 year old, then they must take up all your time, surely the others feel a bit neglected? I was one of 2 for a long time, and have a little 11 year old sister whos obviously a lot younger, and it was nice cause we had one parent each, as it were.

Also, the jobs they were doing, baker, joiner, thats not enough to give kids a nice life. I refuse to believe you could have a decent diet, decent clothes etc on that budget. Surely you could never afford to do ANYTHING, extra curricular activites unless all the kids wanted to do the same. Would be hard for the children to express individuality. Omg it makes me cross!!
why is it cruel, years ago families had this number of children as the norm, and they grew up well adjusted .

My mother was 1 of 9 , my father was 1 or 8... i can tell you from their own words, cruelty was not in their vocabulary

Its was a way of life, the oldest looked after the youngest, while the parents worked, they wore hand me downs, slept top to toe in beds and believe it or not, were happy loving families.

In retrospect, its something many of today's families could learn from.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 05:32 PM
i watched it.

the family that had 15, both parents were adopted and she had her first child at 14.. her oldest was 22 which means she is only 36 with 15 kids

but to be fair to them, both of the parents worked, they had their own bakery. and the dad said he worked around 80 hours a week.. so you cant really claim they are spongers or anything, because they did work.

they seemed a happy family, and all loved each other.. i wouldnt say its cruel, they all looked after each other and all spent time with each other, and its like the parents said, they will never in their life have a moment when they feel alone.

the woman who was pregnant with twins, i wasnt so sure about.. she certainly didnt work because she home schooled all her children, which i dont think is fair on the kids to be honest..
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
pmsl, me too!
And me!

I didn't watch it tho', I was hooked on Stargazing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I didn't watch it as one of my friends says of me, she doesn't like children she's a vegan
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
The Duggars? They give me the creeps. They have a huge family because they believe they're doing god's will by creating a little Christian army, a 'quiverfull'. Shudder.
Now that I didn't realise I've only ever seen it once I think, now that is rather creepy!!!!!

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I can't contemplate one child let alone 15?
I would never give birth to a child, I think there is so much more to life than raising children.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Did`nt it say she was NOT claiming benefits??

why is it cruel, years ago families had this number of children as the norm, and they grew up well adjusted .

My mother was 1 of 9 , my father was 1 or 8... i can tell you from their own words, cruelty was not in their vocabulary

Its was a way of life, the oldest looked after the youngest, while the parents worked, they wore hand me downs, slept top to toe in beds and believe it or not, were happy loving families.

In retrospect, its something many of today's families could learn from.
They would have their income topped up by working tax credits for that many children surely, and child benefit is not means tested, even families with the highest incomes in the country are still entitled to it!!

Years ago it was what was done, my Grandpa was one of 12 I believe. I however believe that children in circumstances like those shown last night and the society we are now sadly part of, they will lack the discipline that prior generations had intrinsically ingrained upon them. There is so much that they will go without as a large family, which wasn't an issue years ago, but things that their friends will have and they won't. I don't think it is a nice way to be brought up, I certainly am grateful I wasn't part of a large family!

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I didn't watch it as one of my friends says of me, she doesn't like children she's a vegan
Haha! Everyone knows how I feel about children, I'm grateful my stepchildren are well behaved!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:20 PM
i thought the bigger family with the bakery were ok actually, they had good values, worked hard etc and seemed all to be fine. I do question the need for that many children, and felt the fact they were both adopted seemed to play a part in how they felt about childhood. I do however think that it would be hard to give any one child individual attention and wonder how that would affect each child/ or even certain children who were perhaps more sensitive.
I find it difficult to pay individual attention to the 2 I have with a 3rd on the way !

As for the other family with the twins due, I didn't get a good feeling about them from the point of view that she seemed very controlling, the kids looked thoroughly bored by the home schooling.. and the woman was risking her health seriously by continuing to have children... I actually think she was quite selfish in it - especially as her two young ones seemed so upset by filming etc. I don't think using the old catholic don't believe in contraception is reason enough to keep having children when its posing a threat to your health..

Either way there is no way I would want that many kids, and with both mothers they seemed addicted to babies/pregnancy which I don't imagine is particularly healthy tbh.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:04 PM
i never watched it but 15 no Thanks,i am glad to give my younger sisters two back after babysitting,shes 3.5 years younger than me and i m nearly 28 and i,ve never had the urge to produce children.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »