register for free

Dog News

Justice or not?

A 36-year-old man appeared in court today charged with two counts of animal cruelty, after video footage appearing to capture a dog being abused was posted on a social networking site.

It was reported that crowds gathered outside a house in Stanley Street, Grimsby, where a window was smashed and a man allegedly assaulted after the video went viral.

The footage, which appears to show a small white dog being beaten, was first posted on the social networking site between 5pm and 6pm on Tuesday.

Mr Currie, who said he filmed it, claims he posted the footage in an attempt to get more people to "report it" and "get something done".

The video appears to show a dog being beaten with a stick, whipped with a tea-towel and grabbed by the scruff of the neck by a man, who then seems to punch the animal twice. After treatment, the animal has been described as "shaken".

The man has been in court today and received 260 hours of community service and banned from keeping animals for 15yrs.

Is it enough????

Anyone with information should call Humberside Police on 0845 6060222 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111, quoting log 593 of October 18.

Please see here for an update: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=159946

Your comments and views:
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:43 PM
No Poor dog... This kind of thing is all too common, and IMO it should be a jail sentence. I bet the person who assaulted him would get a more severe punishment!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Should have been prison, in my view.

So did the other bloke just stand by and film it....? Why didn't he instead STOP the ba$tard who was abusing the poor dog???
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure why the guy didn't stop it, but from the view of the picture on the link, which is a snapshot of the film, it looks to have been taken from above and over a wall. I though possibly a neighbour in an upstairs room looking down onto the garden of the dog abuser. He did also call the police, who just told him to call the RSPCA which he says is why he posted it online, so more people would report it. I think the guy did all he maybe really could...
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Im not sure who I am more angry at the idiot who abused the animal or the twonk who filmed it -.-
If he cared so much he should have sent the film straight to the RSPCA to show the evidence and maybe the other guy would have got a heavier punnishment. But then again thats nothing really in comparison to the abuse he will get while doing his community service.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Ok well the lad that filmed it did an amazing job IMO. He filmed it from his bedroom window, he then emailed the video to the RSPCA & uploaded it to [a social network] in order to get lots of other people to call the RSPCA too so that action was taken quicker than it would normally do with the RSPCA system. (I was one of them that called up too)

The dog was actually removed from the property THE DAY the film was taken and the man was arrested that night. The video also showed the owner of the dog teaching his son that it was okay to punch the dog in the face and the woman of the house also abusing the dog. All of this happened within about 10 minutes.

I can't blame this lad for NOT knocking on the neighbours door, if you could see how the dog was treat and the size of the fella doing it than you would think twice too I'm afraid to say.

Within a few hours the dog was outta there...Well Done Michael is all I can say...And no, the sentence was not enough!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:51 AM
The reason the youngster didn't try to stop the man personally is just that-he is a youngster & the man is violent, he involved the correct authorities, who removed the dog timeously preventing any further injury/cruelty
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Poor dog -abused by at least two if not three people, all of whom are meant to be its care giving owners!

I think the man that filmed it was amazing, because his neighbours will know it was him that did it. He was very brave IMO and to get the dog out of there within a few hours is just incredible, not what we usually here.

Hope the poor creature has some sort of decent life now.

Wys
x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I think the guy who filmed it should be applauded, not criticised. He did everything the right way, and thanks to him, the dog was removed from the house. Well done to him!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I know quite a bit about this story and apparently the guy who was filming it had reported the guy numerous times to the RSPCA, who did nothing. That's when he decided to film it and encourage other people to ring the RSPCA. Obviously, the RSPCA did do something once they had received a lot of calls.

With regards to the punishment served upon the perpetrator, no it is not a severe enough of a sentence. I’m not even sure prison would be a harsh enough punishment these days, as it is a holiday camp where you can have game consoles and TV’s in your cell, with afternoon movies on everyday (I know someone who has just got out of prison and the above is how he described it). I know what sentenced I’d like to inflict on this idiot but wont go into detail.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top