register for free

Dog News

Warning to owners not to throw sticks

When Olivia Parkinson, 14, and her American bulldog, Maggie, were playing a game of fetch, neither of them knew it would end up almost costing Maggie her life. A stick thrown for Maggie became impaled in her chest, missing her heart by just 2 cm.

The accident happened in Weelsby Wood in Grimsby. Olivia threw the stick, which stuck into the ground in an upright position and when Maggie gave chase, she landed on top of the stick, which then pierced her chest.

The Parkinson family decided to rush Maggie to the Blue Cross in Grimsby, but when their other dogs tried to grab the stick, Olivia's father first carefully removed the stick from her chest. Maggie was lucky. The Blue Cross operated immediate and removed splinters from her leg. She was given medication and discharged the following day, but needed a second operation to remove more splinters. Her wounds required a total of 20 stitches.

The grateful family paid tribute to the Blue Cross and now want to warn others not to throw sticks, an activity which they hadn't realised could result in “horrific injuries”.

“I want to make people aware that an innocent object, which is blunt, can harm your dog,” said Olivia, vowing to use soft toys in future.

A spokesperson for the RSPCA pointed out the dangers of allowing pets to play with sticks but said they hadn't seen many cases of injury through impalement. However, referring to potential harm to teeth and gums and causing obstruction if swallowed, she advised that people use toys instead of sticks.

Your comments and views:
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't like the logic that's being presented in this article. By their logic I shouldn't drive because I might get in a car accident, shouldn't go to work because the floor might be wet from mopping and I might slip, shouldn't walk down my basement stairs do to laundry, because I might fall. I'm sure this girl's experience was traumatic, but I think they are going a little overboard with the reaction. You can't protect your dog from everything, all you can do is to make sure they are fed, groomed, exercised, and have proper shelter.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 12:17 AM
My friend used to be a vet nurse for the PDSA. One day, a dog came in, bleeding from a splinter from chomping on a stick.

The vet nurse examined, and said he just needed some gas to cortorise (sp?) the cut.

Sadly, he had a splinter in his artery and bled out on the table. There was nothing they could do.

Thankfully, my girl has no interest in sticks now, there are safer options, I always encourage those.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 01:01 AM
DexNjj, but if you KNEW something was dangerous, and there were easy, safer alternatives available, why wouldn't you use them? Its not hard to carry a safe fetching toy with you. I've seen lots of stick related injuries and will not allow my dog to play with them. I think if you KNOW something is potentially fatally harmful, but you do it anyway, then you are a negligent pet owner.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Nothing in life is risk free.

We have to guage the probability of something happening and the severity of its consequences.

Sadly for some, and happily for others, we know this is not an isolated incident so that we can take precautions to prevent our dogs suffering from an entirely forseeable and preventable injury.

http://www.colliecorner.com/stick-to-toys/home.htm

If we fail to learn from the mistakes of others, then what does that make us?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Must of been horrifying for the family to see and the dog to endure.

I am glad Maggie has recovered.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Dexnjj - I've never thrown sticks for any of the dogs I've had over the years. When I was about 12 yrs old I saw a friends dog die after the stick it was chasing stuck into the ground, the dog continued running and was impailed on the stick Something I will never forget.

I have to agree with muttzrule & SBs posts.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Such an important message.

I have personally known one fatality, one with a hole in the roof of it's mouth and lucky to be alive and another who was operated on for a 6 inch stick stuck in its intestines all because they played with sticks.

Don't do it - it really isn't worth the risk
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't disagree with the assertion that sticks can be dangerous, I'm just saying that the writing style in the article is a little too alarmist for my taste. I think they could have made such a valid point in a better way. As I said above, I do many dangerous things on a daily basis, should I stop doing laundry just because the stairs are steep or stop going to work just because it's dangerous to drive a car?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 03:19 PM
No you do not do many dangerous things on a daily basis.

You do some activities which, under certain conditions, could be classed as dangerous.

Eg if you drove a car with bald tyres, no MOT, above the speed limit in the fog whilst unlicensed, THIS would be consdered as "dangerous".

I am a H & S professional and activities and tasks are risk assessed by professionals in work and by ordinary people every day of their lives.

For example, when you decide to move out at a roundabout, you make a dynamic risk assessment based on the environmental conditions, speed of traffic etc etc

And thus it is with all activities in life.

One of the sources of information upon which to base risk assessments is previous history, that is how your car insurance, home insurance and pet insurance is calculated.

So, we have prior knowledge that sticks + dogs = disaster, therefore most of us would conclude from the data available that this activity is not NECESSARY, is entirely AVOIDABLE and thus all risk could be ELIMINATED.

Driving is often necessary, unavoidable and thus cannot be eliminated thus various controls are put in place such as:

lessons
licences
MOTs
Insurance
speed limits
signs
road surfaces etc

But you are right several people are killed each year as a result of just getting out of bed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top