Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 11:33 PM

"Large Breed" food

A while a go I posted a thread about my pup being underweight. She is fed on wainrights puppy and was previously fed to guidline amounts (approx 225g a day for her age and expected adult weight).

After a majority verdict that the pup was too skinny I upped the food gradually until i saw a weight gain and stabilisation. The amount was 300g a day.

I have wormed her to be sure but 300g seems to be working for her. This is 1/3 over the guidline amounts. I was wondering would the "large breed" variety be better for her. She is a Basset Hound and averag adult weights are 25kg.

Anyone got any advice re this idea? Thanks
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:06 AM
You would have to look at the packet but I don't think the large breed contains much more protein or oils or fats for weight gain - just things like extra glucosamine / chondriotin etc.

Perhaps feed her on a different food - for example fish4dogs only recommends feeding 100-150grams per 10kg of body weight per day (from memory!)
My £36 12kg bag has lasted over 2 months so far for a 13 kg dog and still not finshed it...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:23 AM
guidelines are just that guidelines,there is no set rule to what a dog needs to maintain good weight and condition...i personally only ever use them as a starting point and work from there(i dont weigh my dogs kibble)

i dont see the problem if her poops are good and she looks good
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Totally agree with Tupacs
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:48 AM
However the op said that her dog was underweight so either the food needs increasing more or changing...
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:52 AM
She looks good, she's lively and her coat is glossy. The food seems to be doing well in other ways. She just seems to needs a lot more than the recommendation (even though thats all it is). I just dont want her to explode one meal time
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds like she's doing well - just needs more!
My dog ate way less than recommended when on jwb - completely depends on the dog I think
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Wainwrights is the food I feed and currently my golden retriever pup is on the large breed puppy.
It is very true that dogs vary and I don't take much notice of the recommended amounts. I have found I actually need to be careful how much I feed my pup and don't feed her as much as the recommended amount for her age/weight. Older dogs of mine (very active dogs) have also been fed on Wainwrights adult and again I never needed to feed the recommended amount as they would get fat. Best thing I have found is to go by what they look like and adjust the amount fed up or down to suit.
lisaloo1
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2011, 11:14 PM
wainwrights large breed puppy food contains 9% less protein than the normal puppy food, I have just started feeding my puppy this.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Actually Large breed puppy foods contain less protein and fat to slow down the rate of growth (and thus prevent joint deformities in theory) so I don't think it would help your situation. How often are you feeding her now? Maybe she needs the amount split into 3 meals instead of two until she is older?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >