Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I find it quite sad that rather than admit I have a valid point, you prefer to try and be personal. That says an awful lot about you Azz imo.
Gosh you really are clutching at straws now. Your point may be valid in another situation - it just doesn't apply here because there's no ambiguity with the language (specifically the word) used. Calling someone a 'waste' is a negative/derogative word. Your flirting, or efforts to grab their attention might be wasted on them - but they most certainly are not a waste just because they are out of your realm (for whatever reason).

Calling someone a waste can either mean "you're so gorgeous/amazing/sexy/stunning I wish you were straight so I could be with you" (mine and 99% of peoples opinions ime) or "being gay is wasted on you because I'm not gay" (which seems to be your opinion and tbh it's taken me 5 minutes to try and explain it because I'm truly struggling to ascertain how the statement actually was offensive in the first place! ).
When did you get to edit the dictionary with your own definitions?

So you see my point is - the statement itself is only offensive if that's how you choose to take it. It's personal opinion, the same way some people like me and SB took your Winehouse comment offensively. Just because YOU find something offensive, doesn't actually mean it is or was meant to be.
Right so it's ok for me to call you an idiot then - so long as I mean it 'lovingly'. Surely you can see how ridiculous that is.

Being offended isn't such a terrible thing in reality, all it means is you disagree with something and as it's a free country people are entitled to such opinions. I find it very bizarre that people seem to think they should go through life not being offended, cos I'm afraid to say it just ain't gonna happen.
It's not about taking offence - it's about not just standing idly by when you see something that's derogative to others through no fault of their own. It's about decency, respect.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I just want to add (in case it wasn't clear ) that I know most of you don't mean it in a nasty way when you say it (it's just one of those things picked up from peers) - but the fact of the matter is, it has negative connotations - and really, when you think about it, isn't very nice at all.

If you really care about or like the person you called a waste, perhaps saying something that is actually complimentary and that will make them feel positive about themselves, not negative, would be the more benevolent thing to do?

Just imagine what it would feel like if someone called you a waste - wouldn't it be nicer if someone said 'if only I was ten years younger' or 'if only I was your type'?

lol this is all I wanted to say really - gawd knows why it dragged into so many posts
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Jesus Christ. Can't believe this is still going on.

Azz, you need to get out more!

Disclaimer: JMO, of course!

ETA: We've told you time and time again we DO NOT mean it in any offensive way, so if you don't like the saying, then that's just the way it is. You can't please everyone!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Jesus Christ. Can't believe this is still going on.

Azz, you need to get out more!

Disclaimer: JMO, of course!

ETA: We've told you time and time again we DO NOT mean it in any offensive way, so if you don't like the saying, then that's just the way it is. You can't please everyone!
Have you even bothered to read the last few posts? JUST BECAUSE you say you don't mean it in a nasty way doesn't mean that it isn't hurtful.

It's beyond me why that is so incomprehensible!
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14