Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliewogs
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Pancreatitis aftercare advice please.

My eight year old German Shepherd has just recovered from pancreatitis.I visited the vet yesterday after a 2 week course of antibiotics to find out the next course of action.My usual vet is on holiday so I seen another who said she didn't really know what we should do.
I have been feeding her chicken and rice 4 times a day for 2weeks and I would like to slowly return her to a normal diet.
I asked the vet if this was the way to go and her reply was I suppose we could try.
I am very concerned and confused as I have never experienced pancreatitis before in any of my dogs.
I feel very in the dark and any advice on pancreatitis and aftercare would be much appreciated.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by colliewogs View Post
My eight year old German Shepherd has just recovered from pancreatitis.I visited the vet yesterday after a 2 week course of antibiotics to find out the next course of action.My usual vet is on holiday so I seen another who said she didn't really know what we should do.
I have been feeding her chicken and rice 4 times a day for 2weeks and I would like to slowly return her to a normal diet.
I asked the vet if this was the way to go and her reply was I suppose we could try.
I am very concerned and confused as I have never experienced pancreatitis before in any of my dogs.
I feel very in the dark and any advice on pancreatitis and aftercare would be much appreciated.
If I were you, I'd definitely get a second opinion regarding returning to normal food. Our Cassie had Pancreatitis earlier this year and as a result is on a restricted diet for the rest of her life. I would be very careful about what to introduce. Cassie's bout was brought on by some medication prescribed for her epilepsy so it could be a completely different thing. I wouldn't be happy for a vet to tell me they didn't know the way forward though I know that my vet told us she knew of a dog who had one piece of cheese which caused a subsequent bout of pancreatitis.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:42 PM
My boy Scratch had it around the time I joined Dogsey, I know your worry and confusion too well. You don't know what to do as you want them to get better not worse.
After pancreatitis they need a limited amount of fat and protein. I put my boy on the prescription diet I/D as it is appropriate in content for dogs recovering from pancreatitis. It is fairly expensive but I think it was worth it until I knew he was out of the danger zone. I guess if you wanted look at The Hills Prescription diet and they have the % of fat and protein and find another brand with the same or less in protein and fat content, but be careful to make sure it is not minimums of as that means it can be higher than listed
This website descibes pancreatitis and some of what they need during and after
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1572
and another
https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/09000901.htm
I am not sure of your dogs liver enzymes but i have put him on milk thistle tablets (there is a better one, I do not know the name but will find out, someone on dogsey recommended it, but it is not here is Australia)
An aftermath of Pancreatitis can be Exocrine Pancreatic Deficiency (EPI) it is worth watching out for here is a site that explained it to me.
https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/05740575.htm

The reason you give the dog small frequent meals, is so the pancreatic enzymes don't spike as much as if they ate one large meal, if you find an appropriate diet then a gradual change and monitor your dog carefully and if your dog goes down hill know it is not right, if they start vomiting or refusing to eat, go straight back to the vets.
My boy is now on lean kangaroo mince and potato (as he allergies also), but some have suggested tripe and hopefully someone will be able to tell you more.
Hope I helped and didn't make you even more confused
Emma
BTW if you click on my name and then go to my profile then click on threads I started most of them are pancreatitis threads and has others advice, as I kept driving the Dogsey forum back to pancreatitis as I was sooooooo stressed and didnt know what to do and got some good advice, even if some dogsey people went crazy in the process
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
My boy Scratch had it around the time I joined Dogsey, I know your worry and confusion too well. You don't know what to do as you want them to get better not worse.
After pancreatitis they need a limited amount of fat and protein. I put my boy on the prescription diet I/D as it is appropriate in content for dogs recovering from pancreatitis. It is fairly expensive but I think it was worth it until I knew he was out of the danger zone. I guess if you wanted look at The Hills Prescription diet and they have the % of fat and protein and find another brand with the same or less in protein and fat content, but be careful to make sure it is not minimums of as that means it can be higher than listed
This website descibes pancreatitis and some of what they need during and after
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1572
and another
https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/09000901.htm
I am not sure of your dogs liver enzymes but i have put him on milk thistle tablets (there is a better one, I do not know the name but will find out, someone on dogsey recommended it, but it is not here is Australia)
An aftermath of Pancreatitis can be Exocrine Pancreatic Deficiency (EPI) it is worth watching out for here is a site that explained it to me.
https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/05740575.htm

The reason you give the dog small frequent meals, is so the pancreatic enzymes don't spike as much as if they ate one large meal, if you find an appropriate diet then a gradual change and monitor your dog carefully and if your dog goes down hill know it is not right, if they start vomiting or refusing to eat, go straight back to the vets.
My boy is now on lean kangaroo mince and potato (as he allergies also), but some have suggested tripe and hopefully someone will be able to tell you more.
Hope I helped and didn't make you even more confused
Emma
BTW if you click on my name and then go to my profile then click on threads I started most of them are pancreatitis threads and has others advice, as I kept driving the Dogsey forum back to pancreatitis as I was sooooooo stressed and didnt know what to do and got some good advice, even if some dogsey people went crazy in the process
Denamarin
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Denamarin
Thanks Tupac, I am hopeless sometimes, called the distributor, answering machine will try again tomorrow
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
One of my dogs had this when he was approximately 10mth caused by an infection picked up from the river. He was so bad he was even vomiting water. After his treatment he went back to his normal diet which at the time was raw. for the last 2 years he has been fed Skinners Duck and rice and is now 4 1/2 years without any relapses.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 08:52 AM
"I suppose you could try"? Not exactly a helpful response from the vet was it? I think I'd be changing vets.

I don't have any experience of Pancreatitis, but just wanted to say I hope your girl feels better soon. xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Just wondering how you got on???