View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Political Christmas No 1's have happened before..... Band Aid for one.... and part of RATM's profits are going to Shelter, quite an appropraite charity for this time of year.

Joe will get over it if he really has the X factor. Just remember Vienna by Ultravox being held off number 1 by Joe Dolce and Shuddupaya face. Didn't do them any harm.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
how do you know the kids wont/dont like RATM or suchlike music???
i think its a tad stereotyping or simon cowell marketing to think they should only be into bland saccharine boy pop??.

the original christmas story was political!
Lol my kids actually love all kinds of music from classical to queen, prince modern day stuff like the killers etc, they don't like miley cyrus either but they liked joe, and the swearing in the current number one i just would not be happy about them listening to!

you keep saying their wouldnt have been an aternative xmas number without the book of face.

but their wouldnt have been an x factor number 1 without a long running tv show

what's the difference?
Well if it hadn't been turned into a massive campaign and another number one was chosen for its musical merits not just to supposedly upset multi-millionaire Mr Cowell, I wouldn't have a problem with it!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't like either songs and am not fussed on either the group or Joe , although if you forced me to listen to one and you would have to force me, I would chose Joe, I agree that the X factor winner shouldn't automatically have the Christmas number one but wish they had chosen someone other than that awful group to prove their point , and I'm not missing the point of it all by saying that I just think the group is totally crap.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Well if it hadn't been turned into a massive campaign and another number one was chosen for its musical merits not just to supposedly upset multi-millionaire Mr Cowell, I wouldn't have a problem with it!
it would have been an anti-x factor campaign, whichever song was chosen.
that was the point of doing it.
both records are results of 'people votes' and media campaigns.
which makes their realization the same.
the only difference being only one of them is a decent song with outstanding musical talent.

i wonder which one that was
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:59 PM
it would have been an anti-x factor campaign, whichever song was chosen.
that was the point of doing it.
both records are results of 'people votes' and media campaigns.
which makes their realization the same.
the only difference being only one of them is a decent song with outstanding musical talent.

i wonder which one that was
Well you got me, I don't hear anything outstanding coming from either side.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-12-2009, 02:01 PM
It's Miley Cyrus I feel sorry for.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I don't like either songs and am not fussed on either the group or Joe , although if you forced me to listen to one and you would have to force me, I would chose Joe, I agree that the X factor winner shouldn't automatically have the Christmas number one but wish they had chosen someone other than that awful group to prove their point , and I'm not missing the point of it all by saying that I just think the group is totally crap.
Very well said I totally agree x
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It's Miley Cyrus I feel sorry for.
Why??........
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Analysis of RATM lyrics:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8419446.stm
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Yeah, bit late to be worrying about the poor little lost lad's feelings when he's been through the selection process he has. I'm guessing he's pretty tough. Besides, it's not about him. If he is really talented then he'll have a career ahead of him. He just chose an appalling way to kickstart it IMHO. I hope he, among many others have learned that intensive marketing is not necessarily the way to go.
Unfortunately for most of these ''talented'' singers it's the only way to break into the business. Personally can't help but think that this is an indication of how bad they are though. They should keep the music industry tough so it wheedles out the good form the bad.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
But it shouldn't be! There should be no guarantee of a No 1 for them.... most artists have to work so hard for a top-10 song, and don't have the backing of Cowell behind them.

I think, in Joe's case, the song choice was very wrong (Miley Cyrus? Come on!!) and people have had enough of mass-produced rubbish.

At least the RATM song has a message/theme and lyrics that mean/meant something. A backlash against white supremacy and racism really.

If Joe really has the 'X-factor' he will come right back with a decent song and be fine. If not, then he will fade into musical obscurity like past winners (Steve Brookstein, anyone?)
Agree with all of it, although not a lover of the RATM song but that's not saying much as I'm more of a Joni Mitchell kinda girl myself ;o)
Page 29 of 29 « First < 19 26 27 28 29