Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeast infection in ears & anal gland probs

Poppy has always scratched at her right ear a lot since being a pup. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that her right ear seems to be getting more dirty than usual, so I started using Johnson's Ear Cleanser in her right ear. Her left one is always clean. I've been cleaning her right ear daily and her left ear only needs cleaning once a week. We went to the vets today for her dew claws to be trimmed and her anal glands emptied and I asked the vet to look in her ears. He said she has a yeast infection in her right ear and gave me some drops.

Has anyone else had this in their dog? Even though I clean Poppy's ear every day and use the cleanser twice a week, I still feel I've let her down I thought she just had sweaty ears.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

Also, for a couple of weeks now we've noticed that her back sometimes goes into spasm, like the flesh is rippling. Anyway, the vet said that's linked to anal glandsbeing full. Has anyone heard of this? He asked me what she eats, I said JWB and he said that's a good food, so just to add some fibre to her food in the way of bran flakes or something like that. Does anyone else add fibre to their dogs diets? What else could I use if she won't eat the bran flakes.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Can only really help with my experience with yeast infections. Finn has had problems yeast infections in his ears in the past. I removed all wheat and corn from his diet (including all dog treats like gravy bones) and since then his ears have been yeast free.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks Carole. Poppy gets a couple of gravy bones a day, one in the morning when mum leaves for work in the morning, then one at bed time. I think it's probably the toast crusts in the morning that are doing it. We had commented a few weeks ago that Poppy seems to be putting on weight, probably due to the toast crusts. Looks like it's no crusts from now on.