View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Need Advice - Possible Fit This Morning????

Loki had a quick 'round the block' walk this morning, nothing unusual in his routine at all - I hadn't taken him for his big walk yet. Returned home and after about five minutes we heard a crash from the room next door. We found him on his back shaking, twitching and salivating. It was just awful! I got his collar off, we checked nothing was choking him and got him on his side but there was nothing we could do other than try to soothe and calm him.

It lasted a couple of minutes then he seemed to snap out of it, although he was anxious and terribly affectionate. We took him straight to the vets and they've done a blood test but they mentioned epilepsy as a possibility if the tests are okay, but they said it may never happen again.

This is the first time anything like this has ever happened and I can't bear to see my baby in that state. I'm afraid to leave him on his own now in case it happens when I'm not there.

Does it sound like epilepsy or could there have been any other reason for it? He didn't eat anything dodgy on his walk but he does have a habit of licking 'interesting' smells from vegetation and producing foam. Is there anything nutritionally that could cause a fit or anything missing from his diet that could cause it?

It did seem strange after the gulping and swallowing episode on Sunday.

He's very quiet now and sleeping.

Thanks in advance.
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2006, 11:41 AM
You must be just beside yourself with worry, but you did the right thing in going to the vet straight away. He is in a better position to let you know what is going on. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today... please let us know what the vet said and how you are coping.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd hang on to the thought that the vet mentioned that it may never happen again. I suppose get on with his normal routine as much as he seems up to and monitor the situation for a while. As you say, what with the funny gulping the other day, maybe he's just feeling a bit off colour recently. I'm assuming he isn't acting unwell all the time, so if he is feeling a bit under the weather it ain't too bad... Give him a hug, anyway, from me 'n' Jake.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi LS not what you need right now...

The first thing is keep calm so you don't upset Loki, as the vet says it may never happen again, it could also be a virus. I know how scary it is, Amy started having 'episodes' last spring, sometimes two a day and I was scared to sleep or leave her alone, hers were heart related and controlled with medication.

If it turns out to be epilepsy don't be scared it is easily controlled with medication it is just a matter of getting the right dose
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 12:40 PM
There are lots of things than can cause fits and it could well be just a 'one off'. Your vet is the best person to advise you.

Rat bait can cause these symptons, also too much protein in the diet but don't change anything without your vets confirmation.

I have heard of a large number of incidence of epileptic fits, in a variety of breeds over the last few months, that have followed within a week of the dog being treated with Frontline (even dogs that have been ok with it in the past since they have changed one of the ingredients). If you, or anyone else, does happen to have used Frontline and had this reaction please contact me as I am currently investigating this problem.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Does it sound like epilepsy
Yes it does, but there is any number of things it could be. Once had a GSD with epilepsy that had a fit and you could be describing that episode exactly. How ever although epilepsy is difficult to diagnose it is treatable, so panic not and hope it was a one off. Do you know if there is any epilepsy in any of your dogs ancestors as it is thought to be hereditary so if there is none you can be fairly sure this is not epilepsy. Think Duggie has done an article on this subject I will see if I can find it and add the link to this post

Here is the link to the article
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 12:55 PM
you poor thing not to mention Loki, i cant really advise as i have nevr been in this situation however snorri might be able to help.....

All i can offer is biggest hugs and kisses from me and china!

Alex
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(((((((((((((((((((((())))))))) ))))))))))
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Hiya,
Thinking of you. I know its hard but try not to worry to much, like the vet said it could just be a one off (its surprising how many dogs have had one-offs) and if it is epilepsy its likely that they'll be able to control it - either way he'll have a happy normal life with all the love we know you give him.
We'll pray for him and you
Hazel xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 01:13 PM
OMG Lucky, you poor poor thing, you must have been beside yourself if I know you, and poor Locki! I'm sorry I'm no help on this, but my spaniel once had a fit as a puppy and I rushed her straight to the vets, who said it would never happen again and it didn't? That's all I can say on it. Where did you take Loki for his walk, was it in fields where they might have recently sprayed? Is there anything out in the garden, have you had a good look? Has he got hold of something indoors that he shouldn't have, check all the cupboard and open doors into sheds outside or anything like that. Poor Locki, I hope the vet comes back with good news on those tests. I can only send you my warmest wishes that he'll be ok now, and I hope it isn't something related to that sickness he had either? You poor, poor thing, I really feel for you, this is terrible news Big hugs from us lot for your dear Loki, and I mean BIG hugs please, I'm almost in tears for you here, I really am, so sorry
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 01:37 PM
OMG poor loki!!! Im sure he will be just fine, but that must have been soo frightening!!! ((hugs)) xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »