Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 12:35 AM

I love my dog so much

I got Justin my springer spaniel 10 years ago when he was a puppy. He is generally a healthy dog, he has had a couple of malignant lumps removed, but neither spread. We are rarely apart, in the last week I have spent about 7 hours away from him. He sleeps on my bed with me every night, when I have a bath he lies on the bathroom door - he even lies on the bathroom floor when I am using the toilet. I have not got any children. I hate the fact that he is now in his twilight years, when he dies I don't think I'll be able to carry on living.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 12:49 AM
We all love our dogs, especially the oldies we've had forever. My previous dog Brownie was given to me when I was 8 and the only dog I was allowed to keep in the house with me. He and I bonded instantly and he became my shadow. He protected me from danger and was there when I cried for any reason.

He was really my best pal. I thought like you, that when he died... I'd just not know what to do. He got cancer and died at over age 15 in Feb of 2013. He was fine, but within a month, a small knot on his nose like turned into a giant mass that began cutting off his air supply, he'd wheeze when he tried to breathe, he lost weight, and he could not sleep as laying on his side smothered him.

.He was himself at the vets, he barked at the other male dog as usual, and he snarled when they went to put a needle in him. It was nice to see him spring to life for his last time.

Vet took one look and knew what I had already known, cancer. Inoperable because of location, untreatable because of age. I decided that very day that it would be his last

I didn't think I'd ever love another dog as much as him. I was determined to get another Lab mix, as Brownie made it clear it was the only type of dog that truly had my heart, and although I couldn't get another yellow, I found my black dude very soon on April 3rd of that same year.

I love him just as much as Brownie. They are not the same. Nigredo is a calm, caring soul who loves and trusts almost anybody. His loyalty lies with people who are nice to him, Brownies loyalty lied with me. Brownie had an edge to him, disliking some males and male dogs... but Nigredo does not.

Brownie was a bit stubborn, but Nigredo is not. They are so different but they are still both lovely dogs who I love dearly. Nigredo is not as healthy as Brownie and is nearly guaranteed not to live as long or be as strong in older age, but for now he's a great dog.

My Jade is a wonderful girl, too. She is aloof to some degree, and I simply don't bond as well with females (will never have another female), but I'm glad to have her. She is nearly 11 now and declining in health and vigor, but she is hanging in there and as a group, we're all right.

You'll see. When it happens, it won't be as hard as you imagined it would be. I was able to not cry as my boy was put down. I didn't turn away as all his color drained from him, I took him home once his heart stopped and it was over. It's all a comfort when you know they won't have to suffer anymore.