Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Dog trick ideas please???

I don't really teach my lot tricks, the stuff I teach tends to be useful..sit/down/leave/wait/move/back up etc....
Thing is...the agility Christmas party is starting to loom and there is a best triack competition I just know my son will want to enter with Cosmo...

I have NO idea what to teach him to do.

HELP please????
Smiles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:19 PM
erm well ive taught my dog is to reverse, turn 180 degrees and then reverse back through my legs and he can now do it really fast. dont know what type of thing you had in mind but i taught my dog this when i was hoping to enter a similar competiton to yours.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
erm well ive taught my dog is to reverse, turn 180 degrees and then reverse back through my legs and he can now do it really fast. dont know what type of thing you had in mind but i taught my dog this when i was hoping to enter a similar competiton to yours.
sounds like a possible...but want him to do it with my son, and given his size, he may lift him off his feet...could try it with my OH though!
Smiles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
sounds like a possible...but want him to do it with my son, and given his size, he may lift him off his feet...could try it with my OH though!
maybe best not then in a book ive got it has a trick where the dog shakes it back leg on command, it looks pretty hard but ive not done it
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:51 PM
As a 'first trick' it will probably be easier if you can work on something he does naturally anyway.

Its difficult not knowing what cosmo's strengths are (apart from mud diving)

some obvious ones:
bow
spin
beg
play dead
roll over

If he likes retrieving you could teach him the name of various toys, line them up and get him to bring you the ones you name.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 12:45 AM
You could teach him to hide his face with his paw, very cute and easy to teach
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
You could teach him to hide his face with his paw, very cute and easy to teach
i'm intrigued! how do you teach this then??
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i'm intrigued! how do you teach this then??
Put something on their nose, I use the handle of the lead but you can use a bit of sellotape, or anything else that would irritate them enough to swipe it off. Then you use a clicker to mark the behavior, so click everytime they push it off their nose, and soon (hopefully!), they'll do it without the object on their nose.

Jaz took quite a while and I tried lots of different ways because she rubbed her face against the floor instead of using her paw The lead was the only thing that worked in the end, bless her.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Put something on their nose, I use the handle of the lead but you can use a bit of sellotape, or anything else that would irritate them enough to swipe it off. Then you use a clicker to mark the behavior, so click everytime they push it off their nose, and soon (hopefully!), they'll do it without the object on their nose.

Jaz took quite a while and I tried lots of different ways because she rubbed her face against the floor instead of using her paw The lead was the only thing that worked in the end, bless her.
wow that is simple! thanks for that. i'll give it a go with lily.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2009, 01:10 AM

I was going to suggest this one. My command for this one for my hearing dog is "are you shy?" and I taught it by blowing in Scout's face, as she wouldn't use her paw to get the tape off either. but the tape worked for Ollie, my hearing dog. it's seriously adorable. Another cute one is bow, or crawl backwards.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >