Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2004, 09:56 AM

Dogs - Do they Have a Sixth Sense?

I had a strange experience last night and thought I would share what happened and see if anybody else has experienced anything similar.

Last night my little Irish Stafford Cassy began growling and staring at the corner of the living room, hackles raised and eyes fixed. When I tried to move her she locked all fours and stood there growling and staring at the same spot – just a wall. Her eyes then followed something across the room and stopped at another corner of the room then she started growling again.

I got really freaked out , as did my o/h who is usually pretty calm, we went to bed. About an hour after going to bed I looked out (have glass doors in my house) to see Cassy standing staring through the door into the living room growling again with all hackles up and eyes glazed. I ended up taking her in the bedroom with us and letting her sleep there before she would settle. A while back when I was on my own she did the same thing but from my bedroom this time, staring at something growling, it got so bad I had to take her out for a walk to stop her – by the time we got home she was fine, I just thought she was being over sensitive about something and forgot about it. Now some would say she was just hearing noises but if she were she wouldn’t growl or bark, Kip would but not Cassy she is the quietest dog I have ever owned. It’s really weird and has completely freaked me out lol. I wondered had anybody ever had their pets do something like this and do you think they have a sense for things we cant see or hear?

Laura
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Scarey!!!!!
Carole
Supervisor

10-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Not to that extreme, but Star can be sleeping in the middle of the night and suddenly jump up and bark and growl, but I think she is just dreaming
Bon
Almost a Veteran

10-06-2004, 11:12 AM
My cats will sometimes do this...creepy and I wonder what they see because it looks as if they are following something with their eyes.
moo
Dogsey Senior

10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
We took Mia to my mums house once and she refused to go past the stairs, she was barking and growling really bad, mum just laughed it off and said that she probably just doesnt like her house, i was really interested why she was doing this so i asked a few people who had lived in her area for a while and found out that a bloke had hung himself on the stairs in my mum house so yes i do believe they have some form of sixth sence and to this day i have to drag her past the stairs cos she still barks and growls at them.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Oh Gawd. That would freak me out and is precisely the reason I wont find out anything about my house. I do know though its only 30 years old and the couple we bought it from had lived there for 25 so I wonder what happened before, or perhaps its to do with the location? Or maybe my overactive imagination and theres actually a simple explanation - I hope so lol.

Whatever the reason its very weird
Laura
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Well it would certainly freak me out too!

Another angle is that some people say there are more 'dimensions' to our world than we can see, perhaps dogs/cats can see the 4th or 5th dimention? (we see the 3rd dimention). It's been such a long time that I read all that maybe I got it mixed up! But anyway it would explain the 'ghost' thing!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Without trying to cause mass panic, dogs and cats are very psychic, they can see, hear and sense things that we can't.

It's usually displayed by odd behaviour, growling, hair raised, staring into one particular area, or fear of an area. Many of my animals, both past and present have displayed this sort of behaviour for no apparent reason.

I had two cats that wouldn't go outside into the garden when I first moved into this house. They were always outdoor cats, they would cry at the doors to be let out. Once I moved here, I put them out into the garden and they immediatly turned tail and sat by the doors wanting to get back into the house. They then sat on the inside of the door, watching something, their eyes never left whatever they were fixated by, every now and then they'd let out a low growl.

I never found out what made them so fearful, but I did find out that the previous occupier of this house used to put quick lime down in the garden to kill off any cat that used to come in.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Right I am getting more worried that I was last night, am thinking of finding a nice cosy shed to sleep in. LMFAO. Just kidding. It’s kind of creepy, I had heard of similar stories in the past but me being a seeing is believing person I never took much notice. Thanks for the replies.

Laura
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

10-06-2004, 04:52 PM
My OH swears he saw a monk sat on the end of his bed when he was a child. The thing is his parents house was built on the ruins of an old monastery.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >