Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Puppy was attacked by my other dog

Well it happened earlier on today.

I've been monitoring them so closely, NEVER leaving them on their own, always having puppy on lead.

But this afternoon the springer attacked him.
His fur was wet but there was no blood. I'm sure he could have done more damage but i threw him off within seconds.

Hector screamed and screamed, it was horrendous.
I picked him and cuddled him, he fell asleep in my arms, then he had some supper.

But...as the attack happened outside, i've just taken him out and he started shaking and ran to his under the bar b que. He was not happy.

Its a real set back as he has only been to the toilet in the garden and he loved it out there.

He seems back to himself, wagging tail, he's eaten, he's playful.

Do you think he will be ok and learn to like it again.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry I cannot advise you. There are people on here much more experienced in this kind of behaviour than me. Hope it all works out in the end. Sending you and your little'un big hugs xox
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Generally puppies do scream when a bigger dog or even a cat gives it a scare. I remember when Syd my male Dobermann met our cat for the first time, the cat scared the life out of him and you would have thought Syd had lost a leg judging by the noise he made. It's usually best not to make a big deal out of any upset ( difficult I know) but for the pups sake try to make light of it and not make too much fuss or your likely to reinforce his fears.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I would agree with trouble, the nosie pups make can be upsetting, we had a lot of trouble with Star and Skye at first and both made a lot of noise. It also would be best imo not to make to much of a fuss out of it, as you say he was wet but no blood, I think if he had wanted to hurt him he could have, but as I was not there its impossible for me to say.

I would keep a close eye over the coming days and see how things pan out, also give your older dog a lot of love as it can be a stressfull time for them when a young pup who does not how to behave yet turns up full of energy.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I also agree with what Trouble has said.

It sounds as if your Springer wasn't attacking the puppy but more like putting it in it's place.

I know this is slightly different, but when Ruby puts Jess in her place who just coming up to 2-years old now the noise she makes leads you to believe that she has been ripped apart, but like you find they are just soaking wet and no blood.

I suggest that you keep monitoring them both very closely and forget about it.

Tomorrow is a new day in a dogs life.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Not much to add but keep moving forward with the training and intigrating the pup.
Remember to give your older dog loads of attention, perhaps only give your springer treats when the pup is around so this time becomes positive for him.
Never, ever leave them unsupervised. It's hard work but it doesn't really take that long.
This is a set back, but not a huge one.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Hugs to your pup & one for the older dog too
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks people
I agree, i think he was putting him in his place, but he was so aggressive and went for the throat.
But.......no wounds so thank God for that.
He seems ok now but he is a bit more timid, if i walk to towards him he runs away and tries to hide. Hope he doesn't blame me.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
I wouldnt worry yet about him trying to hide, he is only small and had a shock. With the throat thing I would not read much into as my old lab Storm use to drag Star(if in Storms bed) out by his neck or throat and across the floor.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I wouldnt worry yet about him trying to hide, he is only small and had a shock. With the throat thing I would not read much into as my old lab Storm use to drag Star(if in Storms bed) out by his neck or throat and across the floor.
LOL, sorry but that made me chuckle.
He is ok with my Mum and Dad though, tail goes mental. But like Mum said, it's probably because i am the one he is with all day, every day and the one who also tells him off when he chewing what he shouldn't etc. Probably sick of the sight of me lol
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Sounds to me like the others have said he's being put in his place.He will learn through time from the older dog.My older Rott Kizzy does similar to my young Rott too,I try not to interfere too much as they have to find their place with one another.Like the others have said just keep an eye on the situation.They will soon settle in time,xxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >