Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fatboychunky
New Member!
Male 

14-06-2011, 03:29 PM

How much exercise for large breed?

hi all,
Just wanted to get some input on how much exercise i should give my dog as i here and read so much about not to much due to there joints that can lead to problems later on in there life. Oscar is a Old Tyme Bulldog he's 9months 33-34kg at the moment, he's got alot of muscle and looks good. He has 30mins in the morning off the lead over the field and 30mins in the eve on the lead around the estate.Hes not that active and is happy to sit around the house or garden and sleep. Any thoughts?

thanks
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 03:40 PM
i give my AB (2 years old) 45 mins twice a day and on a sat he gets 1 x 2 hour walk and then half hour in the evening. on sundays he gets 1 hour twice a day. all walks are off lead. Buzzy (AB) is 9 stone.

it really depends on their energy levels. if your boy seems happy with half hour and not demanding attention/play because he is bored/not enough exercise, then that should be fine. his energy levels my increase as he gets a bit older, if it does increase his exercise in interveals of about 10 mins until you think he is sufficiently exercised. He will also get tired from mental stimulation when you play with him.

Do you walk him off lead?
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2011, 04:31 PM
jasper being a great dane i was told 5mins per month of his age on lead, he is now 18 months and gets about 1 and a half to 2hrs walk a day and as much free play as he likes
fatboychunky
New Member!
Male 

14-06-2011, 04:47 PM
yes off the lead in the morning over the field, hes pretty knackerd after 30mins over field and will just lie there for a while. Hes happy to sit around the house or garden, i am with him allday everyday so i do play with him and he comes with me in car most of the time. If hes left at home i have no problems with him, no chewing etc. Im understood that as he gets older he will need more exercise but as a puppy exercise should be limited? thanks
fatboychunky
New Member!
Male 

14-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Buzzy 9stone nice
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Dillon is nearly 17 months old and weights 38 kilos. I walk him 3 times a day, morning about 20 mins about the same of a evening, and one walk about 45mins to an hour sometime during the day.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes - not too much until 12 months then you can gradually increase. Let a pup be a pup
fatboychunky
New Member!
Male 

14-06-2011, 11:04 PM
thanks all im feeling im on the right track then and doing ok. I choose to walk Oscar on his lead on the estate in the eve cos it gets him use to all the noises and smells and everything that go on in life, plus good for his paws etc also you can inforce commands