View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:13 PM

When putting your dogs into boarding kennels...

Do the kennels insist that the dogs have KC vaccine? Or just an up to date vaccination card?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Do the kennels insist that the dogs have KC vaccine? Or just an up to date vaccination card?
Not all kennels will insist on KC cover some do. They have to abide by their local licensing laws but they may have those of their own.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I would ask your local kennels, I would have thought most would insist on it - I think it was someone on here that runs a kennel that mentioned that their insurance requires them to ask for all the adequate vaccinations to be done.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 03:37 PM
The kennels we have used want KC vaccs as well as regular vaccs and prefer dogs to be recently wormed and frontlined too. I like a kennel with high standards, can only be a good thing for the dogs staying there IMO.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 03:48 PM
The thing to remember about ANY vaccine ESPECIALLY the KC one is that they are not 100% effective in all cases!

The KC one in particular is not effective against ALL strains of Bordetella Bronchiseptica and not for very long.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I see, I guese best bet is to ask the kennels. Beacause I have never boarded my dogs its never occured to me, they are vaccinated, but not for KC... also I dont frontline them :S

Thanks guys
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I see, I guese best bet is to ask the kennels. Beacause I have never boarded my dogs its never occured to me, they are vaccinated, but not for KC... also I dont frontline them :S

Thanks guys
Well all the "high quality and top of the range kennels" I have had my dogs in have never even raised the question of worming and/or frontlining; just as well of course as I NEVER treat my dogs for fleas as I have never HAD to.

Of course the kennels I use are SO exclusive that they do not need to ASK their clientele such questions!

But I imagine in some areas these questions do need to be asked................
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 04:09 PM
The Pension I use for Pereg for daycare and/or any stay only wanted to see her medical card, but as they use the same Vet as I do I guess that was sufficient for them.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would ask your local kennels, I would have thought most would insist on it - I think it was someone on here that runs a kennel that mentioned that their insurance requires them to ask for all the adequate vaccinations to be done.
A lot do insist on it, but they only actually need the standad annual vaccs. where i use to work did not need the KC vacc but if they had it it needed to be done 4 weeks prior even thou the vets are telling people 2 weeks (even 72hours in some cases). We didnt insist on it because they can still catch KC even with having the vaccine.
ATD x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I've not been asked for my dogs to be vaccinated against KC but just the normal vaccs. card is usually sufficient or at least my vet's phone number so they can check.

I don't think though that people give KC the credit it deserves for being a very damaging disease potentially. When I got Yiannis from B'ham DH he had KC. Not severely but enough to bother him. He had antibiotics from there and it cleared up within the first week. Zane coughed and spluttered for a day and a half but Ellie, who was probbaly the healthiest and most robust of my dogs at the time was knocked sideways by it.
It got to the point where I had to sit up with her ALL night for 4 nights running to hold her head up because if she lay down properly to sleep she couldn't breathe.

It was horrendous and just like with kids, I couldn't fdo anything to take it away from her. Until then I didn't realise just how serious it could have been.

Too many people underestimate KC and then panic when their dog does catch it, even if it's only a mild case. It's a shame there isn't more education for the general public/dog owners on it - maybe given by vets whent hey get their dogs vaccinated every year?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >