Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Lambing time

Only six weeks to the start of our busiest time of the year - lambing!

It is a time of mixed emotions for me. I love seeing the new lambs thriving and the proud ewes mothering their offspring, but it also means long hours and lots of hard work Thankfully, Ben is old enough this year to be able to come out and watch some of what is going on.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I lived in West Yorkshire for a while and helped out during lambing at the farm where we kept our horses. It was a fabulous experience. My enduring memories are of:
  1. the smell of roast lamb from the lambing sheds ,
  2. the absolute thrill of pulling out a live lamb when mum had given up pushing out number 2 or 3 because she was totally absorbed with licking number 1 ,
  3. being thrown up into the air by a ewe objecting to me moving her and her brand new babies to another pen
  4. the fairly large pile of dead lambs
  5. putting elastic bands on the tails and around the scrotums of the lambs - ouch!
  6. being told by my family when we were eating dinner that I still had a tidemark around my bicep from delving deep into a ewe!

I am really envious of you Kirsty, it was brill and my son who was 5 at the time was by my side offering helpful advice!