View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
InfernoOrangeSS
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2013, 04:49 AM

1 yr old dog jealous of new puppy...should we be worried?

We just acquired a brand new puppy last week, a yorkie/Maltese mix. We have had a chihuahua/yorkie mix for a year. The older dog was our baby, and received a lot of attention. When we brought the new dog home, the older dog wasn't sure what to think. This morning, when any attention was shown to the new puppy, the older dog wanted to bite her, and growled at her. I thought at first she was just playing with her a little roughly, but I'm not so sure now. I don't want our new puppy to get injured. Is this behavior normal? We are very careful to give the older dog more attention, but it seems like she doesn't want the new dog to have any attention what so ever.
Is the older dog, (she's only a year old), just trying to assert her alpha dog, or do you think she may hurt the new puppy?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-Thank you
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2013, 10:06 AM
If you think the older dog is being motivated by jealousy, you should read up on resource guarding, that will help you understand whats happening and how to proceed.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3339
InfernoOrangeSS
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you! We will look into trying that!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 11:09 AM
And your older dog isn't all that old. For a lot of small breeds I would still consider them almost still puppies at just 1 yr.

My little dog ADORES all her doggy friends when we are out walking with them. She is over the moon to see them and play and run about. However, if any of them come here with their owners to visit us - she appears as if her nose is right out of joint. She starts first manically getting all her 'stuff' and taking it away. Then will often just sit on the sofa looking at them a bit wary or just go off into the bedroom away from them! I just put it down to jealousy or insecurity that some other dog is going to get the attention she always gets.
InfernoOrangeSS
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree. I think our older dog, Sansa, is still in her puppy years. I just think she was so used to being the center of attention and now she has to share it.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 12:50 PM
It took quite a few weeks for my older dog to take to the puppy. I just lavished with praise every time she was ok round him, and gave her lots of fuss. Very slowly she began to play with him... Now they never stop!

I had to encourage her to play, almost by sitting with them. I'd play with him and she'd slowly begin to follow. For the first week or two, shed only play with him if I was involved in it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Yes and what better waste of time could there be than sitting on the floor having fun and playing with two little dogs!
InfernoOrangeSS
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I am happy to report that our older dog, Sansa, has warmed up to the puppy, Anya. They do a lot of "play fighting", but it's all bluff. The one time the puppy felt it was too rough, she let out a little yelp. The older dog immediately jumped back as if she was worried she had hurt the puppy. The puppy immediately ran after the older dog to play more. Sansa still doesn't want to share her toys, but I'm sure that's also temporary. If the puppy isn't around her, she goes looking for her.

Thank you to everyone who offered support and helpful suggestions! It's nice to know such a great community exists.
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Time is a great thing with two puppies they Just have to play with each other after a time
InfernoOrangeSS
New Member!
Male 

09-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by ellea View Post
Time is a great thing with two puppies they Just have to play with each other after a time
You are so right! I am sure we were just overly worried about our precious puppies. Thank you!