Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Are you a parent?

If I was, things like this would concern me a great deal (more than it already does)

I hate how humanity is suffering at the hands/culture of 'making money'

Surely there has to be a principle higher than that of profit..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Personally, I think it's a load of scaremongering tosh.

Labels such as "Organic," "Pure," "Wholesome" blah blah blah are also bandied about just as equally as anything else just to sell products, 'tis the latest trend
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 12:30 PM
personally I find these things abit like looking at a medical dictionary, before you know your scared of even breathing incase you have something/catch something.

we'd all be living in a bubble
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes, this stuff concerns me too.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 01:06 PM
it does concern me, but so does the huge numbers of mothers who choose not to attempt breastfeeding and deny its best for the child, so does the vaccines that health professionals constantly bombard our children with from a tiny age, I think that there are concerns particularly with foods we eat - but thats everyone not just our kids. People should be more informed and those that choose not to, well its like those that still smoke in the car/house with their kids, they just think it doesn't matter...

I think there is a fine line though and a balance and we shouldn't be too frightened to live either.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Personally, I think it's a load of scaremongering tosh.

Labels such as "Organic," "Pure," "Wholesome" blah blah blah are also bandied about just as equally as anything else just to sell products, 'tis the latest trend
I agree.

What a load of old rubbish. Do people actually take this type of video seriously? I switched off halfway through.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I agree.

What a load of old rubbish. Do people actually take this type of video seriously? I switched off halfway through.
Same here , a lot of tosh.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
personally I find these things abit like looking at a medical dictionary, before you know your scared of even breathing incase you have something/catch something.

we'd all be living in a bubble
Yep, and most of it is complete paranoia.

We have relatives (with children, my cousins) who will not visit because we have dogs. Even putting the dogs away so they have no contact will not suffice -- why? germs! oh, and the children might catch something just from being in the house. They then wonder why their children have allergies and are always getting ill.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Things like this is enough to make some people paranoid which, in the grand scheme of things, could be MORE detrimental to health and wellbeing.

There are enough parents out there who mollycoddle their children as it is without this adding to it.

I'm all for attempting to make changes for the better where possible, but this is a tad OTT.

I'm not a parent, but if I ever am in the future, I hope I would do my best to care for the child but without wrapping them up in cotton wool all the time.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
it does concern me, but so does the huge numbers of mothers who choose not to attempt breastfeeding and deny its best for the child
Now it's people thinking stuff like that who I have to walk past on my way to and from where the sterilisers are kept that make my life hell at the moment... never mind that the stuff going IN the bottle is breast milk - they just see me carrying a bottle and a teat and assume I've gone straight for formula and tutt and judge and make me feel even worse about myself. No understanding of the hellish circumstances surrounding Erin's birth, no understanding of the fact I'm fighting to get my supply of milk up and the hours I've spent on pumps, no understanding that she is actually getting 99% breast milk (which is a flaming miracle considering the stress I'm under having to live full-time on a maternity ward)... just judgement and assumptions that I'm some kind of evil formula feeding mother.

That kind of mentality worries me more than anything else because of the psychological harm it does to women - which then passes down to children. Yes, after days I went for the option of feeding expressed milk in a bottle - because what we BOTH needed more than anything else was a mother not going completely stark raving mad with stress (I'm close enough to breaking point as it is without the whole breastapo thing going on as well). Hell I've done more than a lot in terms of expressing to just HAVE some supply left.

Sorry but that comment really really really really got to me.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »