Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Lamb recipes

Hey guys,

This weekend is both my OH's 26th and because he's away on the day, Valentines day. Instead of buying him gifts that he doesn't need and stuff I can't afford I decided to make a dinner for him, home cooked and mostly from scratch ( - Aunt Bessie will be helping with the potatoes)

So How do I cook a Lamb Shank? I know you can cook them in red wine - but I ain't using my red wine on his dinner (I don't eat lamb) and he doesn't like red wine.

Any help guys, please

Also apart from roasties - what else do I put with it, mash? (we don't eat veg)

UGH hate cooking dinners like this
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 08:42 PM
SLOWLY!!! If you have a slow cooker then pop them in with a chopped onion, some chopped rosemary and a bit of lamb stock and cook for 5-6 hours. The meat will just fall off the bone and will taste heavenly!!

In fact that's what we had yesterday!

I also rub the shanks in mint sauce before I put them in the slow cooker!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I second this - slow cook for hours with rosemary, maybe some red wine as well as it's Valentines - it will just fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. My mum who claims she doesn't like lamb, loved the slow-cooked lamb shanks I made.

Mash is good, to soak up all the lovely sauce

If you did do veg I'd suggest [frozen] peas... lovely and sweet; green beans, or even a little bit of green salad.

Whoops just seen you don't like wine.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Make something else that you can both eat, give the lamb shanks to the dogs and you drink the red wine.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Make something else that you can both eat, give the lamb shanks to the dogs and you drink the red wine.
Give lamb shanks to the dog?!?!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
SLOWLY!!! If you have a slow cooker then pop them in with a chopped onion, some chopped rosemary and a bit of lamb stock and cook for 5-6 hours. The meat will just fall off the bone and will taste heavenly!!

In fact that's what we had yesterday!

I also rub the shanks in mint sauce before I put them in the slow cooker!
Ahh he doesn't like mint either.. so awkward this man is.. I don't have a slow cooker.. how do I cook it slowly in an ordinary cooker?

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I second this - slow cook for hours with rosemary, maybe some red wine as well as it's Valentines - it will just fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. My mum who claims she doesn't like lamb, loved the slow-cooked lamb shanks I made.

Mash is good, to soak up all the lovely sauce

If you did do veg I'd suggest [frozen] peas... lovely and sweet; green beans, or even a little bit of green salad.

Whoops just seen you don't like wine.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I only drink red wine, dogs are fed raw but there is no way they're getting something that expensive! (not when I can get a rack of lamb for £2 for them) and I'm funny when it comes to food.. and me and him don't have the same taste in food..

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Give lamb shanks to the dog?!?!
Maybe I'll just cut it off the bone