Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Are you able to answer my question Adam?
Bold (it won't quote)

No and No. You can however use e collars on puppies older than a few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwcMz7gMjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7Qe...eature=related

A husky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cg1q_r5nB0

Adam
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The degree, if it doesn't count to you tough!

Adam
But the degree was not dog based but large and zoo animal based. Where did you study DOG behaviour? But you cant answer that can you? As that would be admitting you have no right setting yourself up as a dog trainer using severe aversives to get quick fixes at the expense of some poor little dog.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Adam, although I definitely don't subscribe to your methods, and infact find them to be quite upsetting, I will not bash you. But I will ask you, as a human being...who like all of us, are constantly learning (or SHOULD be)...if you find evidence, overwhelming evidence infact, that there is a much nicer, more positive and still just as effective if not more so way of training dogs, would you not be even a tad bit interested in trying those other methods? I find it sad when someone who is capable of so much, closes themself off to new ways of thinking, of doing things, and the hard part is that it's the dogs who are going to be suffering for it Adam, not you. It's not YOU who are being trained this way. So, instead of stagnating...why not try a better way?
The world of dogs and training is a diverse world. There are differing opinions on every topic immaginable. But at the end of the day, I think if we truly love and respect dogs, we should WANT to do whatever we can to make their lives HAPPY, Healthy, and secure. If you can gain that without doing what you've always done, and by trying something different...why wouldnt you? I've learned much over the past two years of having Luke. I'm always open to new ideas, to changing up things that may work better, may make Luke happier. Shouldnt you want the same?
I yet to find evidence that that is true.

Adam
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:47 PM
You can't REALLY be saying that you haven't seen evidence that you can train a dog without shock collars or harsh methods? That positive reinforcement, time, patience and understanding does not work? PLEASE...do not demean yourself by being so stubborn in your OWN views that you can't see the truth. Otherwise, you truly are as hopeless as all these other people say you are, or are only here to cause drama and gain attention for yourself, even if it's negative attention. If that's the case, I'm sad for you.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah you can train without e collars ect.
You can also live in a cave and eat berries.
I choose not to.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:50 PM
What I mean is I have found e collars to be a better way of doing things, so I use them.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
That's an interesting question that someone's brought up, along the line. Would anyone go to a dog trainer without professional qualifications? If you wouldn't, what qualifications would you feel necessary? What qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on? It's something I've pondered lately, as there seem to be a rash of people advertising, with no qualifications, or qualifications where it's not really clear what they are. Would people go to trainers, with no written qualifications, but with many years' practical experience, or prefer someone with a lot fewer years experience and less experience of different types of dogs, but with a written qualification?
I sort of want a mix. They don't have to have a specific degree, but they need to show that they keep up on research and that they understand positive training. They need to have read more books on dog behavior and training than I have. LOL And they need plenty of practical experience.

When I was looking for an agility trainer, I wanted someone who was established, who had a lot of good recommendations from people, and whose own dogs were out there competing and doing well. I wanted someone who was not afraid to work with dogs you usually don't seen in agility (her dogs are Viszlas and Huskies and the dogs in her class have ranged from BCs to Bloodhounds). And I wanted this person to be rooted in the tenets of positive training.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 03:47 AM
What is wrong with a sound collar? That's not as bad as strapping a shock collar on a dogs privates. The shepherd in the vid seemed like he was having fun... though what the trainer said about his play being dominant was a bit of a joke, & as long as its not bothering the other dog I think its ok... as the other dog will tell him what is acceptable & what is not.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
What is wrong with a sound collar? That's not as bad as strapping a shock collar on a dogs privates. The shepherd in the vid seemed like he was having fun... though what the trainer said about his play being dominant was a bit of a joke, & as long as its not bothering the other dog I think its ok... as the other dog will tell him what is acceptable & what is not.
A sound collar is still aversive and to some dogs might be VERY aversive. Yes it's better than strapping a shock collar to a dog's privates but it's still not the best method and for some dogs could really bad.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-02-2011, 12:50 PM
In the vids the trainer has a soundbox collar on. It is a normal dogtra e collar but with a feature that lets the viewer know through the camera when the trainer use the pager or nick function.

Adam
Page 17 of 38 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »