View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:28 PM
If the gator is in the water and you can see it, then its resting not hunting.. when it moves from resting to hunting, it will submerge, then lie in wait under the water.

You will maybe, if your lucky, teach the dog to fear the sight of a gator, or even the smell of a resting gator. But nothing can scent or see a submerged ambush gator thats their whole point.

I still think your training will probably only result in a dog that is scared of water or anything floating in the water and will likely get eaten some point during your training regime by the gator you didn't see.

Still i suppose you could then use the now eaten e collar to train that gator not to want to eat anyone else's dog
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The gator is in the water in view of you and the dog when you do the training, that is when you stim, if you note the dog air scenting in the direction of the gator you also stim.

After that it doesn't matter were the gator is and iof you can see it, the dog will avoid it anyway!

Adam
This shows how little you know about alligators. Adam, why don't you stay out of things you don't know anything about? Seriously. I know you want to jump in because you think "oh yay e-collars!" but just shut up for once. You know little about dog training and NOTHING about alligators.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:33 PM
wow!!! Adam knows what a dog is smelling when its air scenting!!..... all hail Adam
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
wow!!! Adam knows what a dog is smelling when its air scenting!!..... all hail Adam
was just thinking that myself!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Snakes =/= gators. Have you even SEEN a gator? I mean, for real. Because I don't think they're all that common in the UK. You can't just trap them and use them in a controlled way like you could a snake. You'd have to go out there and know where one is (YOU would have to, not your dog, YOU). There is no controlled way to train a dog alligator avoidance. The idea of it is just ridiculous. You know NOTHING Adam.
Got to agree with you there Crysania.

Unlike Adam I have been to the southern US states several times and funnily enough I stayed 6 weeks the last time with a herpetologist/ecologist. It was like an amazing safari, I can tell you.

This was a guy who does bat studies, gator studies, all kinds of stuff, who picks up any snake he sees on the highway (yes we met copperheads, eastern diamondbacks and water moccasins, and he had a coral snake preserved in his freezer) & records it for the state museum stats with position by GPS.

We went out at night specifically to find gators and found them - usually just a torch (flashlight) can do that, as you shine it out and you have two big amber eyes staring at you.

We talked about dogs and he said he might like to train a labrador one day to detect bats, but where everything else was concerned, he'd leave the dog at home. Just too dangerous!

This was a guy who's been raised, studied, trained and lived in this ecosystem... earned a living out of it by being taken on by the state needing a bat census or building contractors wanting to do new developments, it was him who had to do the eco study to see if it would affect any populations of rare animals.

I had a fantastic time and ended up knowing more than most of the state residents about the wildlife in their own backyards. Yep have been close to wild gators..... yep have been walking through snake habitat.... and no I would not want to take a dog out there with me. It's common sense.

Going to wait for Darkwolf to pick me up on that now...
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Little doggy air scenting 'towards' the gator... BZZZZZT eek... sniffing is bad, I should try moving, maybe towards the water BZZZZT Argh! Moving is bad... freeze... BZZZT too near the water? Too far from my owner? was I sniffing again? maybe I should lie down BZZZZZZZT BZZZZT! For FKS sake, thats it, Im just going to try dashing anywhere...

Yomp crunh crunch crunch gator snack...

BZZZzzzzzt bzzz zzzloop gloop blup........

nope..

cant see how this will work
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Little doggy air scenting 'towards' the gator... BZZZZZT eek... sniffing is bad, I should try moving, maybe towards the water BZZZZT Argh! Moving is bad... freeze... BZZZT too near the water? Too far from my owner? was I sniffing again? maybe I should lie down BZZZZZZZT BZZZZT! For FKS sake, thats it, Im just going to try dashing anywhere...

Yomp crunh crunch crunch gator snack...

BZZZzzzzzt bzzz zzzloop gloop blup........

nope..

cant see how this will work
PMSL
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Adam how can you give training advice on something, you have never dealt with?

Isn't that a bit dangerous, if Darkwolf takes your advice, and then ends up dogless?

Alligators don't just sit in the water, going Coeeee, over here doggie. It's the ones you can't see that you have to worry about.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
After that it doesn't matter were the gator is and iof you can see it, the dog will avoid it anyway!

Adam
You HOPE!

This scenario and the optimism you show is far more dangerous than the aligators IMHO because it's the same arrogant confidence you show in all your training.

It will bite you on the backside and, from your posts, I would say sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, you may only be sued, the poor dog you are seeing, however, is very likely to suffer a far worse fate
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Got to agree with you there Crysania.

Unlike Adam I have been to the southern US states several times and funnily enough I stayed 6 weeks the last time with a herpetologist/ecologist. It was like an amazing safari, I can tell you.

This was a guy who does bat studies, gator studies, all kinds of stuff, who picks up any snake he sees on the highway (yes we met copperheads, eastern diamondbacks and water moccasins, and he had a coral snake preserved in his freezer) & records it for the state museum stats with position by GPS.

We went out at night specifically to find gators and found them - usually just a torch (flashlight) can do that, as you shine it out and you have two big amber eyes staring at you.

We talked about dogs and he said he might like to train a labrador one day to detect bats, but where everything else was concerned, he'd leave the dog at home. Just too dangerous!

This was a guy who's been raised, studied, trained and lived in this ecosystem... earned a living out of it by being taken on by the state needing a bat census or building contractors wanting to do new developments, it was him who had to do the eco study to see if it would affect any populations of rare animals.

I had a fantastic time and ended up knowing more than most of the state residents about the wildlife in their own backyards. Yep have been close to wild gators..... yep have been walking through snake habitat.... and no I would not want to take a dog out there with me. It's common sense.

Going to wait for Darkwolf to pick me up on that now...
she's got you there adam....

......just face this time: owned.
Page 9 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »