Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Marine GF/Wife's

Any help?

He hasnt got in yet, he has just posted his medical and it's marine worthy and he passed his written test, but how do you deal with it?

He's really excited about it and keeps talking to me about it and I'm happy for him but I also dont want him to go, even though it's something he's always wanted to do.

So how do you cope?

Thanks and feel free to PM me if you dont want to post
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I have no words of advice for you. I can only say that he will come through the training tougher and fitter than ever.

My cousin has just gone off to Basic for the Royal Marines and I'm so proud of him, because he went back in knowing what he was letting himself in for as he served in the Highlanders Regiment in Iraq.

*hugs* Take care.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I have no words of advice for you. I can only say that he will come through the training tougher and fitter than ever.

My cousin has just gone off to Basic for the Royal Marines and I'm so proud of him, because he went back in knowing what he was letting himself in for as he served in the Highlanders Regiment in Iraq.

*hugs* Take care.
Thanks Lore - I just dont know how I'll cope though - he is leaving me with 2 dogs and 7 rabbits However if my sister decides she likes the look of a college in Nottingham she'll be living with me so if he gets into the Marines - I wont be on my own as such

Thanks
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Not sure if this counts but my OH is an aircraft engineer in the royal navy so I know what it's like with them being away a lot. Not sure if it's different in the marines or not.

It's always difficult at first and people always used to say to me "oh you'll get used to it" and I never believed them but you really do get used to it and you grow pretty thick skin!

Rich did a 7month deployment away which was hard but you just have to make sure you fill those times with as much as possible and keep yourself busy. I moped for a month or so and then just busied myself with work, friends and family.

I always find it helps to have at least one friend who truly knows what you're going through so someone whos partner is also in the forces. My friends did their best to understand but they never really got it.

We've also just done 16 months of only seeing each other weekends and again it was tough but my biggest bit of advice is to not dwell on the times apart and just enjoy the time you get together. When rich is away I know I can talk to him about any worries I have and he always understands and reassures me and again I think being able to talk through worries openly is really important.

It definitely can't be all bad as I've agreed to marry him (and his job!!) next year!

If ever you want any advice or just someone to talk to you are more than welcome to PM me.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Esmed, we've been together nearly 2 years and in that time have gone only seeing each other weekends so I guess I can survive - Adie asked me to marry him last year lol so god knows when that'll be sorted out lol.

I think whats annoying me is he seems to be more excited and I'm just there while he's talking about it to his friends thinking "well thanks I dont at all feel lonely at all"

But I think I'll do ok, I'm only planning on working part time if he gets in because of the dogs and I suppose I can always go a bit OTT and make them the best trained dogs in the world either that or I'll end up rescuing loads and being a crazy dog lady That doesnt sound bad at all

Thanks again
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thanks Esmed, we've been together nearly 2 years and in that time have gone only seeing each other weekends so I guess I can survive - Adie asked me to marry him last year lol so god knows when that'll be sorted out lol.

I think whats annoying me is he seems to be more excited and I'm just there while he's talking about it to his friends thinking "well thanks I dont at all feel lonely at all"

But I think I'll do ok, I'm only planning on working part time if he gets in because of the dogs and I suppose I can always go a bit OTT and make them the best trained dogs in the world either that or I'll end up rescuing loads and being a crazy dog lady That doesnt sound bad at all

Thanks again
No worries, I wouldn't take the excitement thing personally! I think it's just a man thing that they don't think about how we feel when they're rabbiting on!! I've been in that situation many times!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Are the Marines or any of the armed forced for that matter even recruiting at the moment? A guy I know is on a waiting list to do engineering in the Navy...passed all the tests (written, fitness, medical, interview, etc.) but there is a 12-18 month waiting list to even get in.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Are the Marines or any of the armed forced for that matter even recruiting at the moment? A guy I know is on a waiting list to do engineering in the Navy...passed all the tests (written, fitness, medical, interview, etc.) but there is a 12-18 month waiting list to even get in.
The navy definitely aren't and have in some cases offered voluntary redundancy or something to the effect!

I'm not sure about the other armed forces though.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Army are cutting back apparently. Hubbys in the army. We got through a 6 month deployment to Iraq no problems, a posting to Northern Ireland is absolutely destroying me.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Marines are recruiting but training starts in the new year, some one the OH knows has passed and starts his training after Christmas.

And yeaah I suppose thats True - about men anyway Esmed - just have to suck it up and drink more Tia Maria and orange juice when he goes on about it

LOL

Thanks guys
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >