Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 08:48 AM

Another computer question

Yes it's me again (I think Azz opened this thread just for me )

Well todays question is - we are going to get a router today and I was just thinking what does the router plug into - does it connect to a computer in any way and if it does how? The reason I ask is because as I have said in the past we only have one USB port in the main computer (which I will have to use for the broadband thingy that plugs into it when it arrives) and although we have got those extension things that give you 4 more ports they unfortunately won't work on my computer for some reason

Thanks for putting up with me asking all these questions

Just to add it will be a wireless router that we are getting (BT Voyager 2100)
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I would have thought that the router would have to plug into your computer and then the broadband modem plug into that, but I may be wrong.

Ian
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
We have a wireless router with Blueyonder broadband, the telewest cable plugs into the broadband modem, then the wire which should then go into your computer from the modem goes into the router.

I take it your computer has a wireless LAN PCI card in it?, so no connections to your computer, but if you're not going wireless to your main PC then you will need to run a wire from router to PC
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
I would have thought that the router would have to plug into your computer and then the broadband modem plug into that, but I may be wrong.

Ian

Oh I hope so Ian or else we are back at square one again Damn my son and his bloomin web cam for breaking 2 of the USB ports (I'm really glad that Benji chewed the webcam wire and the webcam is no more now )

Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
We have a wireless router with Blueyonder broadband, the telewest cable plugs into the broadband modem, then the wire which should then go into your computer from the modem goes into the router.

Nothing to your computer!

Oooh thanks for that CC, thats a huge relief then

What actually plugs into the computer then? On dial-up the cable runs from the phone line to the computer, does that cable stay the same?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Foxy what cc has got is the true wireless connection

What you'll need to get that connetion is
2X wreless pci cards (like the one in the other thread with the arials out of the back)
(one for yours and one for upstairs)
1X wreless modem/router (telephone cable goes in this)
1X filter (this so that you can still make and recieve calls while on the internet)
With this sort of connection you can sit in your front room watch your tv progs while surfing as you got no cables)

Just remembered about the laptop that your OH has bought you can get wireless cards for the to connect to the net they just go in a port on the side some where no need to open them up.(no wires)
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by leo
Foxy what cc has got is the true wireless connection

What you'll need to get that connetion is
2X wreless pci cards (like the one in the other thread with the arials out of the back)
(one for yours and one for upstairs)
1X wreless modem/router (telephone cable goes in this)
1X filter (this so that you can still make and recieve calls while on the internet)
With this sort of connection you can sit in your front room watch your tv progs while surfing as you got no cables)

Just remembered about the laptop that your OH has bought you can get wireless cards for the to connect to the net they just go in a port on the side some where no need to open them up.(no wires)

Hi Leo, the laptop that we got this week is wireless ready already so that should be okay shouldn't it

We are getting a wireless re-router so we will still have to have the cards as well will we to make the two other computers wireless (although the main computer shouldn't need one should it because won't the broadband just replace dial up on there I was getting the wireless USB adaptor for the computer upstairs which just sticks into the port at the front won't that make it wireless or will it have to have a card as well?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers

I take it your computer has a wireless LAN PCI card in it?, so no connections to your computer, but if you're not going wireless to your main PC then you will need to run a wire from router to PC

Hi CC, No I haven't got a wireless Lan pci card in the main computer because it is nearly 3 years old now. But I shouldn't need one for this should I because it will be connected to Broadband through the main telephone line like it is now on dial up won't it- or have I got that wrong I have ordered wanadoo broadband which takes up to 10 days and I know they send you a modem and 2 filters through the post so won't this be enough to connect this main computer and then its just the other two (my laptop - which is wireless enabled already and my daughters computer upstairs (which isn't wireless I don't think although it is only a few months old - do you think it could be?) If it isn't wireless I was going to get one of thos USB wireless adaptors to plug in the front, wouldn't that make it wireless instead of opening it up and putting a card in?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I was getting the wireless USB adaptor for the computer upstairs which just sticks into the port at the front won't that make it wireless or will it have to have a card as well?

That is what my desktop pc has. It does not have a wireless card
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
That is what my desktop pc has. It does not have a wireless card

Hi Carole, sorry for all the questions but I am totally confused about all this

My main computer (which I am on at the moment and is a desk top computer)is already connected to the internet via dial-up but is soon to be on broadband so we shouldn't need to alter anything there should we, won't it just be a straightforward swop from dial-up to broadband using the modem they send and the filters

The laptop is wireless ready so shouldn't need anything should it and my daughters could just have the USB wireless adaptor plugged into a front port couldn't it so that would be wireless too. I thought we would just need a ASDL router and that would be all.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >