Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Using a muzzle

At the moment where I live we are in the middle of a poisoning scare , one dog has already died, , I myself have found suspicious substances twice, which I have collected and given to the appropriate authorities for analysis.
Due to this I feel that the only way I can protect my dogs is to muzzle them, ,
What is the best way to go to teach them to use a muzzle without problem?
I did a little session with Jed this eve, where I put the muzzle on, then took it off and treated him, I repeated several times.
Is this the best way to go about it? Gradually increasing the time that he keeps the muzzle on
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:40 PM
How awful for you to have to live with a worry such as this, we've had it ourselves in some of my lovely dog walking areas, 5 dogs died others were very sick, so I know how you are feeling.

Yes, that's the way I'd go about it, but I don't really have any experience coz I only use mine for the vet. You must of course, use one of the basket types that allows your dog to pant, not that soft velcro type that clamps the whole mouth shut, but I expect you already know this.

All the best, I hope all the dogs stay safe from now on and they manage to catch the culprit! Why do they do this!!!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Instead of treating after taking the muzzle off I would treat while the muzzle is on. And as Helena says, basket type muzzle rather than one that holds the mouth closed.

This is basically how I introduced the muzzle to Rupert and several other dogs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wakterNyUg

Hopefully they soon catch the sicko doing this.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I would aim to treat, pet and praise the dog while it is wearing the muzzle (including sticky stuff spread inside e.g tube cheese, marmite, meat spread, peanut butter etc) for it to spend time licking out, then ignore it for a few minutes after I took the muzzle off, again petting, treating and praising when I put the muzzle back on.

Treating when you remove the muzzle can make muzzle removal, rather than muzzle wearing, as the point to look forward to.

You want the dog to see it as:
  • muzzle on=good things,
  • muzzle removed=good things stopped coming,

so the dog wants to wear the muzzle and shows happy anticipation of good things to come when the muzzle is produced.

Then gradually increase the time worn.

Associating wearing the muzzle with going on walks is also a positive thing.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your replies, I did acctualy start by putting the muzzle on then shoving a piece of cheese through the muzzle, then took it off, but then oh said we didn't want him eating with the muzzle on, I will ignore oh then when I do another session after dinner .
like your idea Tass, will do that later as well.
Got a feeling muzzles are going to be the latest doggy fashion amongst the locals here
I hope they catch this sicko too, but don't let him near me cos my reaction won't be very legal
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I taught Lana the other week. I started off by holding the muzzle and treating her, then gradually bringing the treat nearer the muzzle. Then I put the treat through the bottom of the muzzle while hodding it on my knee. She tried hard to get the treat from my hand underneath the muzzle but when she couldn't manage it she put her mouth in. I had the treat at the very start of the muzzle to begin with and then gradually put the treats further back until she had her mouth in the muzzle.

It worked very well and she has no problem wearing it now.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 10:20 PM
It's a constant worry here in Cyprus. We have poison alert websites where folk post the latest poisoning locations daily.

Unfortunately some of these poisons (banned in most of the world and supposed to be banned here too) are so lethal the dog would only have to sniff them up apparently.

The LAST place I would take my dog to is any of the 'designated' dogs allowed spots (few as they are) because that is exactly where these evil dog hating barstewards would target them with their poisons.