Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
These cage muzzle things, would she be ok with it on while she is charging about and running through woods etc like she does, do people keep their distance from you if your dog has got one of these on, i can imagine it on an Rotty or Akita for example but not on a whippet.
???
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If she is snapping at other dogs I`d be looking at rewarding her for quiet onlead behaviour round other dogs. (I assume she is nipping from excitement?) A muzzle won`t stop her chasing or knocking them over.

To be honest i dont know if it is excitement she acutally snarls at the other dogs but has never attacked one, this has only just started happening and dont know why, we have been getting her on a lead when we meet another dog if we can catch her in time.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 01:42 PM
These cage muzzle things, would she be ok with it on while she is charging about and running through woods etc like she does, do people keep their distance from you if your dog has got one of these on, i can imagine it on an Rotty or Akita for example but not on a whippet.
dont understand this? why can you imagine on a rottie? and not a whipet? like i said i have a small border terrier and she wears one always whiole out whether shes running around or not but ny friends ridgeback doesnt wear one(cos he doesnt need one) but hes frightened of my terrier just cos dogs are big doesnt mean they are snappy at other dogs, and ive seen plenty of whippets and greyhounds with a basket muzzel on
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
dont understand this? why can you imagine on a rottie? and not a whipet? like i said i have a small border terrier and she wears one always whiole out whether shes running around or not but ny friends ridgeback doesnt wear one(cos he doesnt need one) but hes frightened of my terrier just cos dogs are big doesnt mean they are snappy at other dogs, and ive seen plenty of whippets and greyhounds with a basket muzzel on
Sorry didnt mean to say in a bad way that rotties or akitas its just when i think of a muzzle i think big dogs that are agressive. I have never had a dog that has been like Honey before and just assumed because she was young and small she wouldnt be aggesive.

Anyway i have taken all of the advice given and been out at lunch time and got her a muzzle rather be safe than sorry.

The hardest bit will be trying to get it on her.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Sorry didnt mean to say in a bad way that rotties or akitas its just when i think of a muzzle i think big dogs that are agressive. I have never had a dog that has been like Honey before and just assumed because she was young and small she wouldnt be aggesive.

Anyway i have taken all of the advice given and been out at lunch time and got her a muzzle rather be safe than sorry.

The hardest bit will be trying to get it on her.
There are ways of introducing a muzzle in a positive way, e.g. encouraging the dog to put it's nose in the muzzle for a treat. You need to be careful because some dogs can easily take fright at having a muzzle put on & then you may always have a struggle. Try to make it pleasant & rewarding process.

Another downside to muzzling is that it can make it very frustrating for dogs that like to play with toys or pick up sticks ~ although I have known dogs that are very adept at picking up a tennis ball through a muzzle!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
There are ways of introducing a muzzle in a positive way, e.g. encouraging the dog to put it's nose in the muzzle for a treat. You need to be careful because some dogs can easily take fright at having a muzzle put on & then you may always have a struggle. Try to make it pleasant & rewarding process.

Another downside to muzzling is that it can make it very frustrating for dogs that like to play with toys or pick up sticks ~ although I have known dogs that are very adept at picking up a tennis ball through a muzzle!
Thanks for your advice, i will try her with it tonight like you say encourage her with a treat, i think she will be frightened of it but hopefully we will make it work.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 04:26 PM
My Chi hates the vet so we pop a mesh muzzle on to stop any accidents, he was microchipped and from then on has been a with the vet, He was castrated about 4 weeks ago which has calmed down but they put disolving stitches in so he wouldn't have to go back.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 04:34 PM
If she is snapping from fear, a muzzle might make her even more fearful - I would maybe have a chat to a good trainer or behaviourist?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 05:26 PM
I've been using a basket type muzzle on Tilly since she was 6 months old for grooming & going to the vets now too - she has no problem with it at all because she knows treats come with it!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 05:52 PM
lolas been wearing a muzzle for a while now and to be honest it seems to calm her down when i put it on her
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >