Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 06:51 PM

How to teach a dog to walk backwards?

I thought by just walking with her in front of me & a treat in my hand she would naturally walk backwards - but she doesn't - she just jumps at my hand.
She will walk forwards if I walk backwards & I've taught her to weave in & out of my legs, but that's as far as we have got!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I taught Daisy by having her in front of me, treat in hand over her head and taking a step towards her so she stepped back. Just one or two steps.
When she got used to that I added the word Back.
When she understood word + action I didn`t move forward - again just a step is fine as you can build on it.
If the dog twists round you can do it against a wall or fence to keep the dog straight or have a treat in each hand.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I taught Daisy by naving her in front of me, treat in hand over her head and taking a step towards her so she stepped back. Just one or two steps.
When she got used to that I added the word Back.
When she understood word + action I didn`t move forward - again just a step is fine as you can build on it.
If the dog twist round you can do it aginst a wall or fence to keep the dog straight or have a treat in each hand.
thanks - I'll try that, sounds easier when you break it down into small steps!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Both my Kerries can do heelwork to music moves and when I was in our (small) Post Office recently (the post-mistress is a dog lover) it came in useful as there wasn't enough space to turn as too many people in the queue so I just said to them "back" and they moved backwards! Not showing off honest!!

Parker can sometimes veer off to one side so we practise between the settee and the wall or a coffee table and the wall so he can't go wrong.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I tried lots of methods and it means Ben can walk back no matter where I am - its useful in agility if he has crept forward and wont be able to take the jump but I dont want to go back to reset him

One method that worked really well was to lure him between my legs and walk forwards, then after walking forwards I took a tiny step back, that unbalances them and you click and treat for the slightest lean back, building up to moving back, building up to them walking backwards automaticaly when you stand over them - then adding the word
I also stood infront o him and lured back but with both him and Mia I have to take the treat under their chin else they sat down

It does take a while to get the hang of

You can also just clicker any movement of the back feet in free time, then shape walking back - I am not as good at clickering to do that
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I tried lots of methods and it means Ben can walk back no matter where I am - its useful in agility if he has crept forward and wont be able to take the jump but I dont want to go back to reset him

One method that worked really well was to lure him between my legs and walk forwards, then after walking forwards I took a tiny step back, that unbalances them and you click and treat for the slightest lean back, building up to moving back, building up to them walking backwards automaticaly when you stand over them - then adding the word
I also stood infront o him and lured back but with both him and Mia I have to take the treat under their chin else they sat down

It does take a while to get the hang of

You can also just clicker any movement of the back feet in free time, then shape walking back - I am not as good at clickering to do that
That sounds good too - she will go between my legs no problem
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Good advice already given ~ but isn't it often the case that breaking down behaviours into small components & teaching small approximations towards the final behaviour is far easier than trying to teach the whole behaviour at once?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 09:31 AM
do you clicker train?

I more often than not found that when I trained any of the dogs that came to my club the off/leave food command that they would step back, so I would then go on to click for the step back and extend the behaviour.

ETA: It can help if you train a dog to go from a sit to stand by stepping backwards instead of stepping forwards into the stand,

hope that makes sense?

I did pop a vid on of kaos training badly last week, it sort of shows most of these moves,
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
do you clicker train?

I more often than not found that when I trained any of the dogs that came to my club the off/leave food command that they would step back, so I would then go on to click for the step back and extend the behaviour.

ETA: It can help if you train a dog to go from a sit to stand by stepping backwards instead of stepping forwards into the stand,

hope that makes sense?

I did pop a vid on of kaos training badly last week, it sort of shows most of these moves,
er well I've got a clicker but not actually used it yet! I've been using commands & hand signals.