Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Muzzle

Hi

I need to get Honey a muzzle but i dont want to get her one of those complete masks like vicious dogs have but am i right in thinking there is another kind that just goes over their nose? if so whats it called
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hi

I need to get Honey a muzzle but i dont want to get her one of those complete masks like vicious dogs have but am i right in thinking there is another kind that just goes over their nose? if so whats it called
You can get two main types of muzzle. The baskerville which is like a cage, and the soft muzzle. Baskervilles may not look very nice but they are much kinder. The dog is able to pant and drink normally. Soft muzzles don't allow the dog to open it's mouth properly and so they can overheat. If you have to muzzle your dog, get the basket type. A dog can still nip through a soft muzzle too.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
You can get two main types of muzzle. The baskerville which is like a cage, and the soft muzzle. Baskervilles may not look very nice but they are much kinder. The dog is able to pant and drink normally. Soft muzzles don't allow the dog to open it's mouth properly and so they can overheat. If you have to muzzle your dog, get the basket type. A dog can still nip through a soft muzzle too.
Thanks for your reply, i feel so bad if i get her a cage one, she only a puppy (well 18 months) and a whippet but she keeps snapping at other dogs and i dont want anyone hurt. We bought her this thing at crufts that goes across her nose and round her neck and you attach the lead to it but she keeps pulling it off.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I would always suggest one of these

http://www.countrymun.com/dog-access...ng-muzzle.html

Train her to accept it, she will be able to take treats through is, and also drink and pant properly.

HTH
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 10:07 AM
ive got a basket muzzle for lola(bt) as she snipes at other dogs and a fabric one for charlie for the car as he wrecks everything! i refer the basket one for snipey dogs as you can still nip with the fabric ones
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
ive got a basket muzzle for lola(bt) as she snipes at other dogs and a fabric one for charlie for the car as he wrecks everything! i refer the basket one for snipey dogs as you can still nip with the fabric ones
These cage muzzle things, would she be ok with it on while she is charging about and running through woods etc like she does, do people keep their distance from you if your dog has got one of these on, i can imagine it on an Rotty or Akita for example but not on a whippet.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 10:59 AM
These cage muzzle things, would she be ok with it on while she is charging about and running through woods etc like she does, do people keep their distance from you if your dog has got one of these on, i can imagine it on an Rotty or Akita for example but not on a whippet.
Not always - you cannot rely on other people to avoid your dog.

These muzzles (the one on the sight I gave you) are designed for sighthounds of all sizes - mainly for racing.

You could not have her in a canvas muzzle for running as she would not be able to breath properly.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Not always - you cannot rely on other people to avoid your dog.

These muzzles (the one on the sight I gave you) are designed for sighthounds of all sizes - mainly for racing.

You could not have her in a canvas muzzle for running as she would not be able to breath properly.
Well it looks like i will have to get one of those cage things, reminds me of hanibal movie, how do u know what size to get? sorry for the questions
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Well it looks like i will have to get one of those cage things, reminds me of hanibal movie, how do u know what size to get? sorry for the questions
Whippet size (have a look at the link I gave you.)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 12:28 PM
If she is snapping at other dogs I`d be looking at rewarding her for quiet onlead behaviour round other dogs. (I assume she is nipping from excitement?) A muzzle won`t stop her chasing or knocking them over.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >