Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fatbelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Holiday advice for first timers

Hi, We are new to dog ownership and we are going to the South of France in the Summer for our Jollies. Can't bear the thought of not being with our Pup so want to take him with us.

What do we need to get to be able to take him into and out of France? Will airlines allow dogs in the hold? And any idea how much they charge?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 04:02 PM
You can`t take a puppy to France, so I hope your dog isn`t too young. You also won`t be able to go for 7 months at least - that`s how long the Rabies vaccinations take. So maybe an Autumn break?
Your vet should give you the info on pet passports. It`s easiest if it`s a DEFRA registered vet (one who is licenced to sign your paperwork).Your dog needs to be microchipped, then the Rabies vaccination is given. Then he has a blood test and he can travel 6 months from when the results of the blood test is through (provided they are OK)
You need to Frontline and worm your dog btween 24 and 48 hours before you return to the UK so you need to make sure you can find a vet in time before you return.
The easiest way to go to France is to drive through on the Shuttle. It takes 30 mins. and the dog stays with you. The Ferry is another option but can be difficult if your dog isn`t used to travelling as you have to leave them in your car so they should be crated.
If you go on the DEFRA website and look up Travelling with your pet you can get all the info.
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I believe you need to get a pet passport. Although Defra's website gives information about bringing dogs to the UK, you can perhaps phone them and enquire about travelling to France with your dog. I brought my dog in from Trinidad last summer and had many phone calls and emails to defra and they were extremely helpful.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

There is also a section on airlines that will allow you to fly with your dog. There may be some waiting time when you get there and back, and you'll probably need to check in earlier than usual.

Also, best to start planning from now as there's alot involved in getting the pet passport.