register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 27 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
I saw this episode, when the cheese did not do the trick he resorted to jabbing the dog. As a rabid anti, I wouldn't expect you to remember that part.
Your tone is still as immature as ever but hey ho, don't expect any different. Just try not to get this thread closed, if you could be so kind

Actually, get your facts straight. He did the jabbing as you put it and then when it didn't work, he did the "cheese" thing but as a "rabid anti" you like to twist and turn it. Everything you say I take with a pinch of salt anyways. Another one that likes his stats and perpetuates in rudeness to females, nice man
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Petrina View Post
Also, I heard they live on compound and away from him, he doesnt even have a house there. So he doesn't live with this group of 40 or so dogs they live by themselves....
Just to pick up on this point.
Did anyone see the study they did recently on shelter dogs in the US? It showed that if kept separate from humans then the dogs became depressed even if they had doggy play mates. Which sort of makes sense. Dogs are meant to be with humans.

However if it's as well done as most of these studies they probably used 2 dogs in each group.

As they say the plural of anecdote is not evidence.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

It was a good post,
I haven't yet seen him work with food treats, perhaps next time i see him, I will catch one of those programmes

Wys
x
I can't remember the dog's name or anything to try to find a clip of it but there were several dogs, all living in a doggy apartment complex (families were welcome with pets) with their owners. They had all tried to avoid each other because several of the dogs had some bad attitude but CM sorted it out and it was nice to see all the owners outside with their dogs at the same time and no bad atmosphere.

I actually took some cheese with me to the Vets yesterday (took Bailey for a hormone implant) in case my boy decided to be a pain. He hates it there and can sometimes be a bit barky. I thought it was a good time to try the "cheese" thing but Bailey was completely well behaved without any treats (last time he took a dislike to a Standard Poodle and kept yapping at him). However, he got his cheese afterwards as he was a brave boy when the implant was inserted (they are quite big like a microchip) so perhaps he'll start to like the Vets a bit more. I'll definitely keep up the cheese thing, as my dogs would jump through hoops of fire for cheese (perhaps they are mice in disguise )
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Fi View Post
Yes, but that was more or less my point.
I'm just saying that the positive and negative points are used as shorthand for the type of training. However as terms they aren't exactly correct.

positive trainers CAN actually use hanging etc. they are using positive punishment.

However positive reward trainers do not use this form of training for whatever reason.

I was just trying to point out that the terms used can very quickly get murky if you just use generic language.

I use punishment in my training. Do I hit my dog? Certainly not. However if he isn't doing what I want then I will ignore him, give him some chill out time or with hold the toy that he is being a pest over. Many people would not say that this is punishment. However in the strictest meaning of the terms it is. It is negative punishment.

The problem seems to be that a number of people do not have the same definitions of the words punishment and positive. It's a common problem. Which is why in canine psychology they came up with the terms above.
Ah, yes we do agree, thanks for clarifying!

I usually tend to use the term "positive trainer" to denote someone who does not use positive punishment because that's usually how it's understood in general dog forum speak; they are a positive reward trainer, but I know what you mean and it can get confusing for everyone.

Wys
x
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Petrina View Post
Which was why I asked scarter to clarify what they meant!

Negative punishment isn't such a bad thing to use, unlike positive.

Fi - Do you know many/any positive trainers who WOULD positive punishment, because I would have thought that goes against what they call themselves?
Argh! Semantics again.

I don't actually know any trainers around here that characterise themselves by one word. The point I was trying to make (badly it would seem) is that even is someone says they are a positive trainer you should really check exactly what they mean.

I don't agree with CM as I have said before I think he uses a very narrow set of techniques. He also seems to use extreme methods as first techniques. I don't feel that people should abuse dogs because they aren't in a position of power (with great power comes great responsibility). If I wouldn't use a training technique on a person (OK, maybe slightly adapted. I have for example never taught a person using pigs ears as an incentive) then I won't use it on a dog.

As well as this being an ethical choice I believe it works better. You will always get better results working as a team rather than as a master and a slave.

I went to a positive punishment training class once (I didn't let any of the guys near Jet, but I stopped going - he didn't like being in a room with all of the stressed dogs). Hardly any of the dogs would move they were so scared of doing something wrong. They crept up to do recalls. I love that Jet runs flat out looking joyful on his recalls. I feel it is cruel to have squashed the joy out of these dogs.

Dogs are naturally some of the happiest creatures around. To take that joy and squash it so that the dog is scared to put a paw wrong is in my book wholly unforgivable.
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
as my dogs would jump through hoops of fire for cheese (perhaps they are mice in disguise )
My dog loves cheese too. However when I had pet mice they weren't fussed about cheese really. They did like yoghurt though. Oh and millet.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Your tone is still as immature as ever but hey ho, don't expect any different. Just try not to get this thread closed, if you could be so kind
Still in denial about what you do. No wonder you can use such methods on little dogs and think it's not tantamount to abuse. You antis are very good when it comes to denial.

Actually, get your facts straight.
Get your facts straight.... though after all this time, I know this too be a fultile request.

He jabbed the dog... it did not work
He offered cheese... it provided momentary distraction
The other dog got closer .... and he lunged again
Millan jabbed him again.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Still in denial about what you do. No wonder you can use such methods on little dogs and think it's not tantamount to abuse. You antis are very good when it comes to denial.

Get your facts straight.... though after all this time, I know this too be a fultile request.

He jabbed the dog... it did not work
He offered cheese... it provided momentary distraction
The other dog got closer .... and he lunged again
Millan jabbed him again.

I think you are a little confused Promethean. Perhaps it's time to tuck up with your teddy I'm "pro" not "anti"

Honestly, you need to go and find somebody else to argue with. Real men don't come on internet sites to pick fights with women, it's a pretty poor show really

Anyway, I know what I saw on the DW show but, as usual, you have to change things to suit your argument. Well go ahead; I pity you, I really do
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
My dog loves cheese too. However when I had pet mice they weren't fussed about cheese really. They did like yoghurt though. Oh and millet.
You know, I saw a programme recently, where there were mice/rats infesting peoples' homes (I think it was in London). They had this JRT that was their "ratter" (who was so clever) and in the traps they didn't put cheese, they put peanut butter. How weird. Did the trick though, the traps worked. Think this cheese/mice thing is a myth after all
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I apologise wys - I see now what you were getting at and you are quite right - it wasn't going over the same ground.

And the answer is that in the context of that snippet of the discussion that you referred to :

Both positive and negative training can go wrong if implemented incorrectly.
I didn't have any particular use of the the phrases in mind. I tend to think in terms of positive=reward; negative=punishment as you correctly assumed. But I'm sitting here trying to think up a possible interpretation of positive and negative training in which I think what I said doesn't apply...and I can't. If anything comes to mind I'll get back to you

However....

positive trainers CAN actually use hanging etc. they are using positive punishment.

However positive reward trainers do not use this form of training for whatever reason.
Now you're entering into another gray area. What do you mean by hanging? A lot of people describe CM as 'hanging' dogs when he holds onto their leash and lets them struggle, perhaps choking themselves until they calm down. Some might categorise this as positive punishment.

A common training approach with dogs that are chronic pullers is to simply stop moving when they pull and let them struggle, perhaps choking themselves until they calm down. At which point they allow the dog to move forwards. Is this too positive punishment? In which case positive reward trainers often use it. It's just they refer to it as negative punishment (stop the dog from doing what it wants to do which is moving forwards) followed by positive reward (letting the dog move forwards).

Originally Posted by fi
I use punishment in my training. Do I hit my dog? Certainly not.
I really do believe you! However, you said on another thread:

Originally Posted by fi
It's fine to shout, it's fine to slap your dog (I slap my dog on the rump all the time) (as long as the dog doesn't mind of course) but never be angry.
So at what point does something become positive punishment? If the dog interprets it as punishment perhaps? If the handler interprets it as punishment? If the handler is angry? If it's not followed up by a reward?

Take the old favorite debate about whether CM kicks or taps a dog with his foot. If he isn't angry and the dog doesn't mind then does it mean it's not positive punishment?

It is a good point that for clarity it's good to specify exactly what we mean when we talk of positive and negative training methods. And yes, it's the cause of a lot of confusion.

But in CM discussion I think even more confusion is caused by variations in the way that people classify various actions - even when they conform to the same model when talking of positive and negative methods.
Closed Thread
Page 23 of 27 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »