Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 01:20 PM

Using a different vet when on holiday with your dog

We're planning to take Max up to visit my sister who lives in Glasgow.

I thought I would take a list of local vets, in case we have an emergency up there and take Max's vet's contact details with me. Has anyone had to use another vet whilst on holiday and how does it work?

Will they see a dog who is not registered with them as an emergency? What happens in out of hours cases? With my local vet we ring the normal number and a vet will come out or meet at the surgery. But would they do that if you weren't registered with them? Has anyone any experience of this? Obviously I hope we don't have an emergency but I'd like to have a back up plan!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
You could maybe phone one of the vets nearby and see how it works.

My vet in Glasgow uses Pets A&E as their emergency vets. If I phone my vet their answering machine gives the number to Pets A&E. There is also Vets Now in the PDSA building that does an emergency service.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I had to in Yorkshire. My old dog Meg cut her foot at the time on glass, it needed sutres and I just walked into the nearest. Explained we were on hols from Birmingham and what happened, they were brilliant. We picked her up later that day with all medication needed, they phoned through to our vets and arranged another appointment for when we got back, and told us if we needed to see them before we leaft Yorkshire to phone and they would be glad to see her. excellent service
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you both for your replies. It's good to know that another vet will treat in an emergency but I will double check the policy of a couple of vets near my sister.
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree totally with youngstevie's post, most vets wouldn't have a problem treating your pet if you were on holiday. Friends of the family have had to use vets whilst on holiday a few times in various places and each time without any problems. Usually they will ring your vets or send a letter home with you if they need further treatment etc...
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Hector had bloat whilst on holiday, boy what a panic that was!!
the local vet was 15 miles away and i rang to let them know i was on my way, even tho he said he was on his way to put a dog to sleep. i told him he'd have another one if he didnt react. needless to say he did sort it out, quickly!

we did have to pay upfront (£1000) but the traetment and care was superb.

a card and flowers were sent on our return home!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your replies amethystbelle & hectorsmum.

Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
Hector had bloat whilst on holiday, boy what a panic that was!!
That's the sort of emergency I'm worried about. Glad everything was ok for Hector, poor lad.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
We were vising my family in Warrington a few years ago and Fingal had one of funny turns. At the time our own vet was investigating bloods for Addisons desease or imune problems. She had discovered steroids that at least kept him going but we had none with us as he'd been fine for 12 months.

The vet in Warrington contacted our own vet who was able to advise. At the time his outlook wasn't great but between the two vets tey got him going again. I remember it was Easter Monday and it cost a fair whack.

On a funnier note - this was the vet that Beau (my last Springer) was registered with long before I moved to Scotland. My surname was still on the vets system and I was so tempted to say Fingal was Beau (born in 1984) and just claim he was in good nick for his age.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
On a funnier note - this was the vet that Beau (my last Springer) was registered with long before I moved to Scotland. My surname was still on the vets system and I was so tempted to say Fingal was Beau (born in 1984) and just claim he was in good nick for his age.
They might have given you a freebie, thinking they had a Guinness book of records winner if you had done that!
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 05:25 PM
In an emergency situation, a vet has to treat the animal whether registered or not. They can always get the details of your regular vet from you and phone for a history if need be
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >