Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Young dog, new puppy

As anyone who has seen my posts knows, I have an 11mth old English setter (Jamie) and I am soooooo hoping that we will be joined by another setter at the end of the year, (fingers crossed!!) but what I wanted to ask was, how do you go about it? I have only ever had one dog before... we had dogs in the family, and they all met at each others houses, but never for y'know lifetime!! How do you go about bringing in another puppy...?
Jamie isn't terratorial at all, he loves other dogs, but he is a big boy and daft!! I have a big crate for him (he is in this max 2 hrs a day and that not whole 2hrs at a time!) will I have to get another crate for puppy? Also what about toys...? Jamie destroys anything with a squeaker.. I want new puppy to have toys... will I have to buy a range of new stuff, i.e beds, bowls, blankets etc... I don't mind I just wanna be prepared after all I was a Brownie!! I know it a while off yet, as the mum is still waiting to come into season But I like to be prepared!! Thanks for your help in advance!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 11:16 AM
How exciting!!

We've just got another Boxer puppy (Murphy) who is now 10 weeks old, and Max is 18 months old.

We resurected Max's crate, bought an extra couple of bowls, new lead, collar and some more cushion beds. We bought new toys that both could play with, and ditched some of Max's old manky toys.

We let Max meet Murphy and his litter several times before Murphy came home. We also gave Max a smelly puppy blanket on his bed for a week or so before Murphy arrived.

I've tried to keep routines the same, so brekkie and tea are at the same time, but I've slotted in Murphy's extra feed at lunchtime. Max still gets plenty of 1 to 1 time with me and OH (walks, training) and when Murphy goes to bed, Max comes and sits on the sofa with me (special cuddles).

We've had to fence off part of our (large) garden, so we've now got a smaller part that Murphy can play in, although they do go in the big garden every day for a supervised play.

Both dogs come and feed the chickens with me, and if I'm working in the greenhouse, they'll both come and lie there, as it's nice and warm.

I've found the toilet-training the most difficult, as Max just sorts himself out. I have to factor in puppy-toilet times and getting up at night to let Murphy out!

It's fun though, and I love seeing them playing together, or curled up on the bed together (or pulling the kitchen carpet up together )

Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks Isochick!! What worries me most is the toilet training as Jamie was so easy!! 4 accidents and all my fault!! And also Jamie feeling pushed out, I suppose it will be easy in a way as I can take him for walks on his own and then puppy for short walk later? Oooh I can't wait!! What beautiful dogs you have.. have always loved Boxers!!