View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Rabbit dilemma.....looking after a friends rabbit. Advice needed.

Hi,

we are looking after a friends rabbit at the moment, since Mon. We had been told to feed it this morning for the first time but that it had been off it`s food for a few days and was getting thin.I was a bit perturbed by this but i assured the owner that if i thought it was ill i would take it to the vets.I went round last night and it had appeared to eat a VERY little .

I received a phone call this morning from the grandparents delivering a message from the owner that if it was ill to let nature take its course and NOT take it to the vet.

I went round this morning and the rabbit was not looking at all well. No food eaten. No real motion, did not even react when I moved my hands over its eyes. It did not touch any of the grass/ dandelions/ food etc that i gave it.

I have phoned the grandparent who has told me that it is a cost issue regarding the vet.I have however got permission to take it for an itinitial consultation this evening (5.40).

My dilemma is this. If the vet recommends a course of treatment and the owners will not authorise it, what do I do with the ill/ distressed rabbit. It is still my responsibility until Sun 19TH!! Obviously if it was my rabbit i would take the vets advice and do what was best for the rabbit.

I am finding this a very difficult situation to be in......ALL help and advice welcomed.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:34 AM
that is a difficult one

tbh id take it to the vet and if it needs treatment, then its their rabbit - they should pay the bill.

i know its adifficult situation, but the rabbit could end up really sick/die if it dosent have vet treatment.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Poor you,nightmare situation.
I think you are right taking it to the vet, as for treatment...tough call as it depends entirely on what is wrong with it.
Worst case scenario? Expensive treatment that would cure it...OR the vet recommending it be PTS tonight. They are also the most expensive options... if it is the first, I'd ask if the owners would sign it over to a rescue? OR take it to the Blue Cross or PDSA and see if they'll treat it if it's a cost issue?
Terrible situation to be in, hugs.
Poor rabbit.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree it needs vet treatment not leave it to die. It could be that it's teeth have grown together and may well have to be PTS in any event.
Poor thing, deserves better than the owners it has.
Becky
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:58 AM
What an awful situation to be put in,poor you,It sounds like they knew it wasn't very well before you took it,Is there any way you could phone them whilst at the vets upon his verdict and see what they say,
You must feel quite cross and frustrated with them,Do what you feel is right,i hope the rabbit is ok and its nothing too serious.
Best of luck with him x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I`m phoning the grandparent with the vets verdict and she will have to make the decision I feel. I have roped in another neighbour to help with the rabbit later and to take me up to the vets.I`m not looking forward to the trip I must say.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Poor you that's a terrible situation to be in & I agree with Tink that it sounds like they knew it wasn't well before you started looking after it.

I know vets are expensive but that shouldn't stop it's owners from allowing you to seek medical attention for an animal that is obviously very poorly. Sorry to say this as they are friends of yours, but to deny an ill animal vet attention is just cruel.

Good luck with the vets later.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Panda,has gone to the bridge. His teeth had caused an ulcerated throat with tongue laceration. He also had gastric stasis. The owners made the decision not to operate. we are very sad. My son and myself are in tears,,,,speak later.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Poor little guy. Big hugs to you & your son, it must have been very upsetting for you both. xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Poor thing, at least he's free from pain now. Don't blame yourself the owners should have done this before they went away.
Sleep tight little one.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >