Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 04:16 PM

Bad walk today

I took the wee guys to the park at lunch for a short walk as Inka is still snibbed to short walks got into the park alls going well till we spotted a collie off lead, now this girl knew we were there and my 2 were on the lead, next thing her collie makes a dash for us at this point the boys dragged me off the path onto the grass, I had my first shot at skijoring without the skis or sled I was being pulled across the grass and couldn't stop it was all muddy and the slide marks from my feet are there for all to see, it was quite good being the dogs were doing all the work I just had to hold on, eventually the girl came to try to catch the collie I said to her if you cant catch her i'm gonna have to let them go, she says I dont care if you do , so I did, they were off like a shot trying to play but these dogs play rough and the wee collie wasn't pleased at all proceeded to snap at the 2 of them although I don't blame her really she got more than she had bargained for, eventually I got hold of my 2 again and tried to walk away as best I could with these 2 still intent on the collie, she was still off the lead and running back and forwards to us, any way I headed back to the car, put them in and just managed to catch Kain as he launched himself out the back door, he would've ended up in the main road, I pushed him back in and shouted NO BAD he is looking at me now at this point like what was that for, it worked though cause when we got home and I opened the boot door he stayed at the back of the car Today made my mind up I will be ordering dogmatics for them both on Monday I realise now just how strong they are...
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-12-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah you must be at the stage I was at when I ordered dogmatics, about 6 months old? I was developing muscles I had never seen before and my right elbow was hurting.....
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2006, 05:20 PM
We have just tried ours on a gentle leader and it seems to help. We are trying Dogmatic too. It must be impossible to hold on to 2 NIs - one takes all my strength.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't mean to laugh but I bet you looked a picture, I know just how slippy the mud and grass is at the moment if my paddock is anything to go by.

I'm glad it all ended up ok, it was a similar occurance that made me stop walking 6 of the setters at once, they saw a pheasant, pheasant took off, they took off after it, I followed
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-12-2006, 07:14 PM
... but ya forgot to mention all the judges held up a "9.5" for yer skiing

Hey glad it ended ok though, coulda been worse eh.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks you guy's, Ian it was well worth a straight 10 I can tell you, I felt a total failure not being able to hold them, they are big boys 6 months and everything is just soooo interesting to them, when we walk by people now a leave seems to be enough, yesterday ended with me loosing my keys aswell, I only discovered that when I was stood padlock in hand ready to let the boys out the kennel, Kain was not impressed when I walked away Retraced my movements from yesterday and found nothing, had to get the big dogs keys from work...found one of my hut keys this morning where we had parked yesterday someone has obviously picked them up, I have already checked the police station nothing there either...so yesterday was indeed eventfull....I don't remember Suki being this bad, I must be getting old
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I have found dog training a really big help as they learn to ignore other dogs (eventually ). At the doggy carol service/xmas party the other night 2 jack russells barked and carried on at them continuously and they lay there and looked bored A massive improvement from a few months ago when they would have been over there investigating. The dogmatics are a definate bonus as well, I use a training lead attached to their collars and another lead attached to their dogmatics around my wrist, if they do take a sudden plunge forward the lead around my wrist stops me practicing the ski-ing techniques you have been honing to perfection
Hope you have found your keys now as well, I keep a spare under a brick just in case I lose it whilst on one of our expeditions.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Im sorry to hear about your bad walk today Inky.

She sounded like a irresponsible lady if she didnt keep hold of her dog when she could see that you were struggling...

At the risk of sounding like a numpty...

What is a 'dogmatic collar'?

im going to get a Canny Collar for Jess, she was a naughty girl on our walk today too...!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Tawneywolf my 2 have been at training sincethey had the last of their puppy jags, and doing brilliantly at training until Inka fractured his toe so they've not been training for 4 weeks, I know what you mean cause the training keeps them social without the fuss, cause we've not been able to have a decent walk with the wee guy's at the park... also because we're on short walks because of Inkas toe...this is probably adding to their excitment now...Kye some other posts I've read today have been about dogs being able to slip out the canny collar thats why I'll probably go for Dogmatic...type dogmatic into your google bar and the site will be in the listing.TW no luck with the keys, bummer.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I try to do 1 to 1 training with my 2 for about 10 minutes in an enclosed ball park, unfortunately the football field next to it is so waterlogged that I have had to give up going on there and just take them for a run on the country park instead. So they are probably at the same stage yours are without any input for a while!!! Anybody thinking of getting a dogmatic or halti please remember to thread the head bit through the dog's collar as otherwise (if they are anything like my 2) they just hook their paw behind their ear, pull and the b....y thing comes off Mine are nearly 13 months now and have come to realise that unless they sit for me to put their dogmatics on - no walk - but they still try to get them off, and I don't they ever give that up to be honest, I say NO loudly and do a half halt on the lead and that does seem to stop it in its tracks though.