View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2007, 10:52 AM
To the original poster, I think other methods of security would be more effective (alarms, CCTV etc.). A security or PP dog should only be working when your are with it.

Regarding the security industry, I don't believe there is any dog requirement for the SIA licence?

As for Malinois, I agree with Wysiwyg. Working breeds should be 'worked' - otherwise you either have out of control dogs or breeders 'dumbing down' the breed to be more suitable for Joe Public. If you want a companion dog, get a breed that was bred to be just that.

JMHO
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The original post for this was november last year.
Protection dogs I agree are an issue that can be safer achieved by cctv and other forms of deterrant.
And as you obvisously know the law regarding guard dogs is clear to be with its handler or restrained when not etc etc.
Protection dogs are used more in America or on the continent where laws are differnt. A properly trained peotection dog is a dog which is very much part of a damily and is treated like any other family pet, the only difference is that its natural instincts to protect its family have been enhanced through training to scare of or bite a would be intruder.
As for the Malinios yes my opinion on them is they should be used for working purposes or for the serious sport dog followers such as KNPV.
The so called working Malinios that are being brought into the country could have an effect on the Belgian Shepherds as a whole as a lot of these dogs are not pure bred or pedigree.
The people breeding these dogs are doing it purely for working purposes and cross breed with other types like the dutch herder, The end result is an awesome working machine, but one that comes in all shapes and sizes making it difficult to standardize the breed which could have a knock on effect to the show line dogs in this country.
My advice would be unless you are working these dogs full time or are very proficient in training dogs for sport then leave well alone
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3