View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 10:16 AM
That's great news Gildy, let's hope that Lucky continues to improve and get strong enough leave after Bonfire night The antibac powder is at work and ready to leave if you want it, just let me know.

Take care x

PS sorry about the poor content of the PM, I was using my OH PDA thingy and it's like texting (and I'm no good at that either! )
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the point Gildy
I only discovered it this morning.....after I did it for you

I didn't know anything about it, 'till I clicked on the sign

Slow or what

Even nicer of you to do it after seeing my pic

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Evening Chris(and all)

Less to report which has to be a good thing.

I found something else to add to the variety of food available for his enjoyment...Pearl Barley.

Still eating, still drinking and I assume at some point sleeping.

About an hour ago he had me baffled...He wasn't in his favourite corner, hidden beside the fridge or behind the door, or behind the bins full of bird food. And then I looked up and he had found a kind of ledge to sit on and look down on me.

So he must've flown up there and I suppose to him its like being in a tree.

He'll feel safer I guess. Had to pop in for a pint of milk from the fridge and he was interested in what I was doing but you could see that he was wanting to drop off to sleep and he couldn't keep his tiny little eyes open.

Feathers are coming back at an amazing rate...if only my hair could return like that

I hope that he comes down for his food and water as I know if I attempt to make him I'll just worry him. Perhaps he'll fly into something...

Yes, you are right about pictures being added to profiles, slowly everyone is putting up a photo for us to see

Wonder who will be next?

All the best

Anthony x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Hi Gildy glad to hear that he/she is still doing well and that his/her feathers are coming back again It must have been his lucky day earlier this week when you rescued him
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Hello Foxy

Well, the good news is nothing much is happening

Lucky is still eating and drinking but not when I am around(I assume he sneaks down for it whilst I am not there)because every time I go into the outhouse now he/she has found one of four little ledges between some wooden beams that run across the room and Lucky is on a different one every time I go in the room so he must be flying to reach them. They are like little hidey holes.

And he appears to be happy now that he is up a height looking down on the room and me. I get the impression that he is interested and accepting of my presence even if handling him is no longer an option. Any attempt would probably result in him charging at the window. And I'd need something to stand on to reach any how.

So if the progress is as good as appears, I may release lucky quite soon as he probably would prefer to be in the natural environment aslong as I think the feathers are back enough to keep him warm at night.

Just not sure whether to wait that little bit longer as November 5th approaches.

I had visions of carrying him into the garden and releasing him and seeing him fly away but I suspect it will be easier to pen the window wide and have him fly out of the room under his own power.

I guess I was fortunate that my first rescued bird has recovered so well. I didn't need to bathe any wounds and hardly used the powder I purchased.

Gildy x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Thats great Gildy, I'm so pleased that he has recovered because birds can be so difficult to treat with them being so fragile and easily shocked can't they. I remember my sister having a canary and his nails needed clipping because they were too long and as they cut the nails the canary died of an heart attack we think

Yes you are probably better releasing him after Nov 5th although saying that the fireworks seem to carry on for a couple of weeks after as well don't they

You have done a marvellous job with Lucky and I hope he lives a very happy Dove life from now on
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Well the news just gets better and better as Lucky seems to go from strength to strength

It must be quite hard to know now just when to release him/her

I don't know what it's like where you are, it's very warm here 19c so perhaps if it's mild where you are at least that's a plus for him to survive.

I wonder if you did let him out the window, would he come back in if he wanted to?

I've been tidying the garden up a bit, cutting some things back and sweeping up leaves, trouble is this time of the year there's a load fallen again
There's quite a few ladybirds waking up in the warm sun, poor things must think it's spring

I forgot to tell you last week I did have a Robin visit I was very

What an experience for you Antony.........well done you! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Chris
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Well, I had to go into the outhouse for some things out of the fridge and put the light on. I thought I'd leave it on for a little while and then switch off again for the night, I was hoping that he be thirsty and come down from hiding place and get a drink and perhaps some food.

When I returned later I knew that he had(the food scatters a bit)and the water level drops(been using the top off a coffee jar)

When I went in again he had decided to use one of the nails that were in the wall(to originally support a shelf)as a perch. I thought he's bound to move...an hour later...still there and I wanted the light off for the night so he gets some sleep. So in the end I just turned it off and hope that he'll find his way in the dark to where he wants to be. I didn't want to scare him off. Then again perhaps that's his resting place for tonight and he's happy. I don't him having an accident after coming this far. When released, its out of my hands. Its probably like sitting in a tree. Being short, I couldn't really reach him but he wasn't scared and let me stroke him again.

I don't do it too often but I figure being in a room where most of the time he's alone must be quite boring and they do like going around in pairs. I figure Lucky needs some contact.

So another day passes and again all seems well.

Chris, my garden needs a good tidying up but there has been so much rain the ground is too wet so my gardener hopefully will come and sort things out next week. The wetaher did not start out too promising and I was wondering where this warm day we were being told was actually located but by this afternoon it was a pleasent day and yep, a couple of squirrels decided to come into the garden together.

Another was lucky later on as on one of stones in the Rockery he found a few hazlenuts I had put down...just in case. They were eaten as opposed to being buried.

My robin seems to have been missing of late but I don't think its necessarily a bad sign. And whilst I look after Lucky, yes some other doves have been in the garden and so far been safe. I thought one had been caught earlier today when I saw a few fine feathers on the lawn near the house but I realised that they were a few of Lucky's from the day he was caught.

Thanks to you all for your interest

Anthony
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Well all I can say really is that you are doing a really great job..... and pleased to read that you are getting support from shh you know where

Lucky seems to be really at home in the place that you've provided for him, he/she must be doing well getting all your care and attention, it's really heart warming to read

Having read how much rain you've been having I'm not surprised that not much can be done in your garden, mine is pretty soggy on the grass and it takes so long to dry out at this time of the year

Anyway, still got my fingers crossed for you both

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Still another day to suggest Lucky's well being and getting to the day when Lucky is released. I suppose where he is a utility room adjesant to the house where we have the fridge and would have a washing machine(if we had one)when there was a coke boiler and open fire you stored the fuel out there too.

If he had company and could access the room I have a feeling that chances are he probably would return if he could fly during the day and use the room at night, after all there a few places to hide(bit like nesting in the eves as sparrows do)its warmer than outside and quieter and there's the best of food and a supply of water.

It could be that he's become quite used to me and his surroundings but no when the time comes I will release him. They say its going to be a cold Winter, something like the big one's of 1958/1963 not sure how they know but...he'll definately need his feathers and a good supply of food when the snow and frost come back.

The Garden seems to be drying out so hopefully the last big tidy up will happen early next week. The Squirrels may hide the Monkey Nuts but when I put a few Hazlenuts out they are eaten not buried. Pity that they are so expensive.

I'm not sure how many of you buy feed in bulk and store it. What I am about to suggest I suspect you'll already know but a little tip I saw in a booklet and I thought...why didn't I think of that.

You can buy a professionally looking seed scoop to get seeds etc...out of a sack/storage bin and fill the feeders but all you need to do is take either a large or small plastic milk bottle. Leave the top screwed on and the handle so you can hold it. Cut the bottom off the bottle and then cut two adjesant sides in a diagonal so the lower part of the slant is near the handle and remove it. And you have a homemade scoop. I suppose it looks a bit like one of those scoops you see in the shops where you weigh your own. Have that in mind should you make one.

I hope that I have explained the directions clearly enough...

Take Care

Back Later

Gilders x
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »