Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Britannia Music Club

I'm now regretting joining this mob when first I got a CD player! Recently, they transferred their operations from Essex to Jersey and said they were despatching via Royal Mail, for increased speed.

According to them, they sent me a recent order on 3 September, and now they're looking for the money. I haven't sent it yet, because the CD hasn't turned up, and it's now the 29th.

I phoned them - they say the Post Office is to blame, and they can't send a replacement, as the CD is now out of stock!

I ordered another CD from play.com, also in Jersey, five days later. It was delivered in four days, by the same Royal Mail.

Maybe I'm just biased, but Britannia have cocked up so often that my opinion of them has fallen off the bottom of the chart.

On another occasion, I bought a 2-CD set (Bach:Cello suites) from them for £16.25, and paid it on their vaunted website. Later, they were still looking for the cash, so I e-mailed and was told to try again. Against my better judgment, I did. That transaction failed as well, so what did they do? They referred the whole lot to a debt collectiion agency, whom I phoned. Britannia has actually told them that two attempts at payment via the website had failed. I wrote to Britannia and sent them a cheque, but asked for some compensation for the possible damage to my credit rating - it came in the form of some free CDs, so it "cost" them £20 to collect £16.25! Stupid, or what?

And they ask members to recommend them to their friends! Ha ha, I haven't even inflicted them on Mrs S' ex-boss!

Britannia - the prices can be quite good, but don't trust them to get it right!

Snorri
(still waiting)
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 12:52 PM
maybe they are having trouble to find your place Snorri
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 12:53 PM
i use to belong to them but they kept sending cds that i didnt want and each and everytime i got one i had to keep paying the postage to send it back,i would return the card saying that i dint want next months cd but they still kept sending it so in the end i cancelled my account with them i would never go back with them
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
maybe they are having trouble to find your place Snorri
Ah, but the postie knows! He is a regular caller here, off-duty, to sample the homebrew! Not that there's much left when he has finished the "quality inspection"!

Snorri
(Braumeister)
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
i use to belong to them but they kept sending cds that i didnt want and each and everytime i got one i had to keep paying the postage to send it back,i would return the card saying that i dint want next months cd but they still kept sending it so in the end i cancelled my account with them i would never go back with them
Yep ... that's them. They did the same with me and I had a heck of a time trying to cancel. Never again!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by royv
Yep ... that's them. They did the same with me and I had a heck of a time trying to cancel. Never again!

Yes they did this with me too. Plus you could get the Cd's cheaper in the shops than from them by the time they had added postage and packing on the price. I would never have them again
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Plus you could get the Cd's cheaper in the shops than from them by the time they had added postage and packing on the price. I would never have them again
True enough, but in this particular boondock, that applies to just about everything, because the local shop caters only for the teenies who buy modern pop rubbish, and even that badly. If you want anything that isn't the "Orkney norm", you have to order it from the mainland somewhere, and pay P&P on top of the price,

My beef with Britannia is that they hire extremely thick people to work for an extremely thick management! If your problem isn't listed on their internal FAQ, they never have an answer!

NB - the CD still hasn't arrived (Tut tut, I'm being impatient - they have only had the order for five weeks!)

Snorri

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi Snorrie,

Britannia (shudder!) - what a bunch of hopeless plonkers. Used to be with them years ago, when you couldn't actually speak to anyone, and everything had to be done by snail mail. I am amazed they are still in business. Useless, totally useless.

On a positive note, have you tried CD WOW! - their website is cd-wow.com - I've been using them for some years, ever since they were vaunted in a gadget mag that OH was perusing. I have never had a single problem with them. They are brilliant, CD's/DVD's are cheap as chips and postage is free. They also have a classical section.

Give them a try (if you haven't already) - I think they're superb.

Cheers
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks! I've had a look at CD WOW!, but they don't seem to have much of the stuff I'd want, I'm afraid

I used their search facility to look for the late Glenn Gould (a Canadian pianist I like, who recorded a lot of Bach), and it offered me a DVD of "Cold Mountain"!
Most of their so-called "classical" is, in fact, "crossover" (Bond, Mediaeval Baebes and the like - pretty, but not true cassical).

I admit to being a bit of a purist when it comes to "classical", and, whilst this crossover stuff may be popular (good luck to them, and those who like it), it's not to my particular taste.

This mob are not too bad (and they are FAST! - they do CDs, DVDs, computer consumables, gadgets and games), but no classical section BUT! (and this is fine) you don't have to be a "member", it's just an on-line shop. I ordered another CD from them, five days after making the Britannia offer (both are in Jersey), and the one from play.com was here in four days, via the same Royal Mail that Britannia are blaming! Exactly the same route, in fact!

Snorri
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Try these people - I've never done personally, but I've heard that they are OK.

101cd: http://www.101cd.com/search/artistal...LD&asptnr=4000
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >