Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

Well this is going to go really well.
And outside cats shouldn't really wear collars as its a massive hanging risk, and it's interesting how even the CPL discourages the notion of house cats (was told by numerous representatives they see it as cruel)
If you don't own a cat you just won't understand, they are very much a wild pet and that won't ever change. If you don't like it there's simple ways around it, starting a thread souly to start a witch hunt and drag every anti cat person out to complain is a really good way of going about it though so well done.
I've never come across this - when I got our cat, I called Cats Protection, explained that at the time I lived very near a very very busy road (where the 30 limit was viewed purely as a "you might want to double this to get through this place faster" suggestion) and that therefore a cat needing an indoor home was probably the better idea for me - they agreed with me, I admitted I was a sucker for a hard luck story - and funnily - they had two hard luck stories ready and needing homes... as a result I had an older, special needs (ish- she gets by fine on three legs) cat... they just didn't want her being an outdoor mog in case of being chased by a dog or anything and being unable to climb (allegedly - she's got out before and managed a 7 foot fence).

As for the dogs - mine would probably consider chasing a cat if they came across one in the street - but they're terrified of our own cat! I don't think it's fair to allow them to chase cats though - although the one that likes to sit on the front garden wall to wind the dogs up pushes his luck faaaaar too far at times. There are some who'd view their dog killing a cat as some kind of badge of honour though - it's still someone's very loved family member and that's a despicable attitude to take.

You either "get" cats or you don't (same as, shockingly, some people don't like dogs) - and this is just a flame bait thread really.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
We have several visiting cats or cats that cross our garden so quite often wouldve got more than dog poo. Then i struck on idea of lifting cat poo & in its place put a dog poo. Few times & cats got message
Thats a really good idea It's one I'll remember, however, we don't have many cats around here. I think that ours are the only ones within quite a wide radius. We do have neighbours, but most of our neighbours have dogs.

That's probably why our cats stay in our garden (sounding stupid, but never thought of it. Just thought our cats were home birds).
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I've never come across this - when I got our cat, I called Cats Protection, explained that at the time I lived very near a very very busy road (where the 30 limit was viewed purely as a "you might want to double this to get through this place faster" suggestion) and that therefore a cat needing an indoor home was probably the better idea for me - they agreed with me, I admitted I was a sucker for a hard luck story - and funnily - they had two hard luck stories ready and needing homes... as a result I had an older, special needs (ish- she gets by fine on three legs) cat... they just didn't want her being an outdoor mog in case of being chased by a dog or anything and being unable to climb (allegedly - she's got out before and managed a 7 foot fence).

As for the dogs - mine would probably consider chasing a cat if they came across one in the street - but they're terrified of our own cat! I don't think it's fair to allow them to chase cats though - although the one that likes to sit on the front garden wall to wind the dogs up pushes his luck faaaaar too far at times. There are some who'd view their dog killing a cat as some kind of badge of honour though - it's still someone's very loved family member and that's a despicable attitude to take.

You either "get" cats or you don't (same as, shockingly, some people don't like dogs) - and this is just a flame bait thread really.
Interesting that, I've been told by a few of their representatives over the years that they don't agree with keeping cats totally confined, when one of ours went walkabouts briefly a year or so ago they echoed this when I rang to leave his details and was told that the more "natural" ranging life was better and that this came with certain risks.
I don't dispute anyone keeping their cats inside personally, I'm lucky I can let mine out. But my boys would go wild if kept inside, they get cabin fever and start causing trouble if it's bad weather and I won't let them out.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
We have two cats. They tend to stay in the garden when we let them out. They do follow the dogs when we go for walks, and come back inside with us.

As for fouling other people's gardens, ours play outside, then come in and use their litter tray.
There was a cat round here used to take its dog for a walk on a morning. Cat would appear round the corner followed by dog, they'd potter around for a while then cat would look at dog as if to say "right, time to go home" then they'd potter off again! I think they've finally dog proofed the garden though as it hasn't happened for a while.

If we accept that cats are "free range" there isn't much anyone can do about where they poo etc. Its not too bad if you're home lots as you can chase them off enough times that they take the hint. We turfed our borders as we were sick of arriving home and having to clean up cat poo before we could let toby out, and I've fenced in my rhubarb to stop them digging in it, our garden just isn't as interesting now!

As far as I know you're not legally responsible for anything your cat does. Same as you don't have to report if you hit one on the road, but you do with a dog

I'd really love it if someone could also teach the starlings not to sit and poo all over the gate, and that dropping scraps of food in the garden is bad, as toby eats them and then gets itchy. I've been trying to teach them that the hanging food by the window is for the little birds and the tray by the bin is for the bigger ones! Oh, and if they could stop chirping down the chimney and fluttering in the gutters that would be great as it really bugs Toby!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:59 AM
My boy has never lived with cats and loves to chase them. He bumped into one once, it came round the corner by the back door which was open and the boy just happened to be looking out. He thought whoop whoop lets chase and ran at the cat which didnt move and ended up sat quite the thing under his belly and if he moved a muscle it thumped him! It was v funny to see the boy on tip toes with the completely unphased seen it all before big ol tom cat sat under him. On another occasion at a friends house her dog savvy cat mooched in much to the astonishment of the boy who promptly stuck his nose up its bum then tried to entice it to play (said cat quickly got bored with him and sent him packing with a swift swipe). So cats are just entertainment to him and not for eating.

so given they have to run the gauntlet we dont tend to have any poop issues in the back garden but the thing that drives me berluddy mad is when the cheeky sods pee up the front door! Cats its not your HOUSE! our house is rather old and drafty so the smell gets wafted under the door and fills the hallway and upstairs GROSS!

So pee on your own door and if you have to biff/fight in the field out the back can you do it at a more godly hour so I dont have to get out of bed to let the boy out to investigate at 2am

Thankyou.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Call me stupid but cats scare me. I've been attacked several times, swiped at countless more times and am now at the point where I'll cross the street just to avoid passing close to a cat. So as you can imagine I really love it when they come wandering into my house and I have to remove them. Having them in the garden was bad enough, if Rupert had caught one it'd have been killed and guess who would have been the bad guy?

I wish people did have to be responsible for them to be honest, it'd make walking down the street a hell of a lot stressful for me for a start. But it's not going to happen.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
so given they have to run the gauntlet we dont tend to have any poop issues in the back garden but the thing that drives me berluddy mad is when the cheeky sods pee up the front door! Cats its not your HOUSE! our house is rather old and drafty so the smell gets wafted under the door and fills the hallway and upstairs GROSS!

So pee on your own door and if you have to biff/fight in the field out the back can you do it at a more godly hour so I dont have to get out of bed to let the boy out to investigate at 2am

Thankyou.
Personally i would use a very strong disinfectant / bleach solution not just on the door but all round it

That cat needs neutered!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:33 AM
The stats for cats that go outside, vs cats that dont are astronomical though. In Canada, the average lifespan of a cat that never goes outside is 15 years. the average lifespan of a cat that does, is 2. Our cats were a great example of this. My parents had 3 outside cats (at different times) 2 didn't make it to a year, and one only just over. then they decided house cats only... those 2 lived 15, and 14 years.

Besides, most cities have cat by-laws now that do not allow cats to roam. (though people ignore this) but in towns and cities that have cat trapping in place, there are alot less free-roaming cats.

I love cats, and would have one in a heartbeat, (but for my allergies and Oliver's penchant for killing cats) but it would never be allowed to be free roaming.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:34 AM
I have 4 cats....didn't let any of them out till they were neutered.
Now they've been wandering out for about 1 1/2 weeks...haven't left the garden, use Teagans old dog flap to come in/out.
If I nip upstairs for a nap, they all come back in of their own accord!
Tea time for them (about 7pm) they all come in and the flap gets locked so they can't get out at night.
If I'm not at home, the flap is also locked so they can't get out.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I have a cat and I let her roam and I think she would hate it if I confined her. I have lost 2 cats who just disappeared so I know the risks but I know that those two, and my current one would prefer a life like that, than to be kept inside. When we've moved, they have gone bonkers in the few days that we have had to keep them in.

We live in a small hamlet and everyone (4 houses) have said that they like having a cat around. I have no idea where she goes to the toilet but I do know she goes in her litter tray and in our garden. I am pretty sure she goes to our elderly neighbours house for a bit of company as well

She is quite a good hunter but she catches more rodents and rabbits than birds, but she does catch the odd bird.

Cats are cats and dogs are dogs. I can't see anything changing so we will all have to live with it. One thing I will say that if my cat ever got into a garden with a dog and was killed, I would not blame that dog or owner, unless she was set upon, of course.

Helen
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »