Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Natasha
Just a quick update on oscars progress
Well we started a fresh yesterday, and i have to say it was alot better, he was more alert wanted to get the dummy and generally more 'into' his training, so i was very pleased with him this time he brought the dummy back to me instead of dropping it half way (yay) have to admit it wasnt to my feet, but im not too bothered about that, as long as he is interested in the dummy and is retreiving it back, thats all i want to work on for now, until i feel that he does that spot on, which will take some time, but the more he gets use to all these new things the better he will become - just teaches you not to give up when things dont go to planned, as this time he was alot better
So if anyone wants to add to that please do
Just want to add: WELL DONE :smt038
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Am, I really appreciate all the help you are giving me along way to go yet, but we are on the right track
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Nat.

I know you´ve just gotten home from holiday and havent trained much, but heres an exercise you can add so it doesnt get the same all the time.

Keep doing what you do now but try this too:

You ----------------- dummy----------------------Oscar

It doesnt have to be very far at first. Make sure he stays til he´s allowed to retrieve. I hold my hand in the air while whistle "stay". You use what you want to and what works for you. On signal tell him to get the dummy and run to you.

This exercise has several things in it:
Oscar being sat away from you and has to stay.
Dummy not in your hand but outthere looking mighty good
His attention has to be focused on you or no signal.
You being able to support him all the way by being in front of him.

Same "rules" as before. Fun and contact.

Enjoy
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi AM
Well we are def gping to do some today, i should of done some earlier so its my fault
Yes i will try that with him, sounds a good excercise as i dont want him to get borred with me doing the same thing over and over again as i want him to enjoy it.
The only thing i want to ask about that is how does he know to get the dummie? do i show it him before i place it down? as he is use to me having the object in my hands and then going to get it so im not sure he would pick it up, and he might just come running to me when told But that sounds good will def give it ago along with what i had been doing with him before i went away.
If i can i will try and do a video and show you so you can give me some tips on how to improve and what im doing wrong
As alwalys thanks for the help
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 10:50 AM
It is a good Q Nat and as useall I didnt think before writing Sorry

You walk with him to where he´s going to stay. Then you tell him to sit and stay. You then walk back, half way there stops and show him you place the dummy on the ground. Make sure the dummy lies erm..how to put it...
straight like this: l and not like this: - Does that make sense?
You then walk back, stop, turns and make eyecontact.

Use a command like "get it", "go", etc. I use "apport" but thats a danish word but you can try and teach him some danish aswell
As always you can say what you want. Just pick an easy word and stick with it.
As soon as he has picked it up its home! Therefore either calling him, clap your hands whatever you do to get him home and tons of praise.

If you have any doubts please let me know. I´ll take Ally outside right away and make a video then. Its better to make sure you get it than confuse him, so please ask anything ok
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Ah ok i get it now and i think we should be able to do that fine yes that does make sense about the dummie so the bottom of the dummie points towards oscar and the top towards me ( I ). I get how to do it now, i think i will just use english words at the moment i usually say 'go get' so i will say that as he is use to it. And i will remember plenty of praise when he picks it up, will update you tonight on how he gets on, maybe not today but soon i will ask someone to come with me so you can see how i do it and what both me and oscar are doing wrong Thanks for explaining to me, im useless at understanding training stuff
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 11:09 AM
And I´m useless at explaining

The dummy should be placed just the oppersite of what you wrote.
It should be as he should pick it up:

You................l (dummy)......................Oscar

If you place like this - it will only make it harder for him both to see and pick up and we want as simple as possible.
I´m gonna go make some videos for you now
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 11:14 AM
know your explaining is fine i understand you
ah ok i get the dummie now i was actually wondering why you would place the dummie that way i said as it would make it harder for him to pick up and come staight to me i really am useless
ok thanks alot for making a video will look forward to it
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok started up training again today
we tried the excersise Amts mentioned, but oscar was much to excited about seeing him dummy again he didnt really pay attention so i ignored him for abit and let him settle down, and gave the retreiveing another go what we had been doing before i went away so it wasnt unsamiliar to him, so i got him to sit by my side wait for the dummie and then threw it and told him to 'go get' which he did and then ran off with it so i went after him told him to drop the dummie and went back to where we train and he followed, and then i pretended nothing had happened and started again and what a difference he sat by my side until i said 'go get', i got on my knees this time though and then called him back shouting loads of praise and he brought the dummie right back to me and he did this 4 times! cant tell you how pleased i was its the first time he has brought the dummie right back to me, but after those few retreives i left it for today as its best to leave it on a high where he has done well, but he would of carried on, which is good as it shows he is eager, so a yay from me!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!! Very good Nat and Oscar

Now Luna and I have work to do tomorrow
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >