View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Go at a pace you feel comfortable with and know exactly what you want her to do, so both you and her understand
You can do 'hands on' training all by yourself without me if you want to do something you will, you just have to think possitively and that you can do it
She does like it just give her time make it fun and exciting for her, and she will soon love it, but only if you love it too

Well oscar does 'retreive' what ever i throw for him but not to my feet like i want him too, so that has to be worked on too, have you been using the sticks too much for her? so she only feel comfortable retreiveing them for you, i would think about using something different then like ball etc and then maybe she wont mind holding the dummy so much once she is use to a variety of objects
Keep at it J, other wise she will never get the hang of it, there no point in starting training if you give up Good luck let me know how it goes and i can report back on how oscar is getting on or not getting on
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Hiya Nat

Yeah we are taking it nice and easy

I will let u know And sorry for hijacking your thread
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi J, yer take it nice and slow, but dont just give up coz she does not do it straight away
Your ok i dont mind its training stuff isnt it, so hopefully this will help other people too in the same situation
Will keep you all updated and then hopefully you guys can tell me how to improve
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Update on todays training

Ok just took oscar out, didnt really go too well, and he was nowhere near as good as yesterday but then i suppose they have there of days. We spent about 10 mins training with the dummy, the problem was after being told to sit which he did, he ran after the dummy picked it up and either dropped it straight after picking it up or dropped it when he was half way back to me but i dont really know why, its not like i was training him for ages and he is not borred of the dummy he just wouldnt bring it back to me, i wont be doing any training tomorrow to make sure he does not get borred of it, and today he only brought the dummy back to me on the very last retreive he did so i left it there so we finished on a possitive Anyone got any tips or advice would be great thanks!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry Oscar didn't do so well today Nat

You have to keep in mind that Oscar has no clue on what it is you want him to do He might have done a few good retrieves or maybe even 10. But it takes 100 - 1000 - 10.000 of them to get him to fully understand and be reliable every single time you want him to retrieve

My guess is heŽs testing you a bit. Playing up if you want. And heres where youŽll need all your patience and training skills.

If he drops it right after picked it up (at a distances from you) my suggestion will be praise him when he picks up, encourage him verbally to bring it back and ignore the unwanted behaviour.

If he drops it on his way home you have two choices; either recall without the dummy and send him back out. Or correct him with a stern no and straight back to the light voice encouraging him to bring it to you.

You need to be very clear whats expected of him and very helpfully to him in understanding it
And make him bring it back to you the happiest and funniest thing ever - like he could not have done anything to please you more. I mean really tell him how wonderful he is when he does right :smt026 Yippiie

And you did right be finishing off with a success. He will remember that and it really can be said often enough. Very good

Chin up, give a day off as you say yourself and start fresh monday
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Hiya Am thanks for coming to the rescue
Ah well its not too bad wont let it get me down, i dont expect him to learn straight away but like you say the more i do the better and more use to retreiving he will become, but i will keep doing it until he understands and gets the hang of it after all it only the third day we have been doing it so he is still trying to understand what i want him to do

And yes i totally agree with you he is testing me, of course he will he wants his own way he wants the easy option, but im not going to let him have it

Yes that exactly what i was doing i got down to his level and was coaching him on verbally to get the dummy and then calling him back, but today he just dropped it so i will try what you have said and say no and then start the retrive again as i think this would be the best option to try with oscar. So i will wave and jump up and down for him to bring it back to me then (people may think im nuts but ow well )
So hopefully if i leave it until monday he will be ready to go again, yes i def wont let this bother me and it has not put me of in the slightest i dont give up that easy
Thanks for your help AM, VERY much appreciated as alwalys!

If anyone else has any advice or tips please feel free to join in, and maybe you could tell me how you got your dog to retreive!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Natasha
If anyone else has any advice or tips please feel free to join in, and maybe you could tell me how you got your dog to retreive!
I don'r know if this is at all relevant to training working gundogs, but I teach the retrieve to hand by back-chaining: teach the 'hold' first, then the surrender, then the 'fetch' when the article is at my feet, then progress to the thrown article. The dog is taught from the start that the reward, whatever it is, comes only when she/he sits straight in front of me with the article and surrenders it when asked.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi SB and others

I can get Luna to hold.. sort offish.... Our BIG problem right now is to get her to take the dummy.

I wanted to start with training the "hold", but to do this, its sort of required that she'll take the dummy first.. to be able to hold I mean..

I have tried: Blowing in her mouth, tickling the side of her mouth, prying her mouth open and a finger in behind the teeth and tickle her (inner) uppermouth. Nothing.. Well yes if I pry her mouth open, but then I really dont have a happy dog, so not good...

Any ideas on that?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi bellaluna have you tried putting some food on the dummy at first and see if that gets her interest - say like peanut butter?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Use the dinner bowl. Have the article in the kitchen. Get her to hold for a microsecond before you put her food down. No hold, no food. She will soon catch on Or, get her to open her mouth for a biscuit. Pop the dummy in, hold her mouth closed for a second and reward 'good hold' with the biscuit. She may not be 'happy' at first, but she will learn what is required and be willing to 'hold' for her dinner or a treat

Does she hold toys, sticks, shoes, the remote control, anything? Whenever she has something, no matter what, in her mouth use the command 'hold' and immediately praise 'good hold' and reward her. It does not have to be the dummy. She just needs to learn what 'hold' means and any object will do. Once she has learned what is required when you say 'hold' then she will be willing to hold anything - dummy included.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »