Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Child benefit should be used to help pay for the childs up keep, NOT to finance a luxurious lifestyle!

And a horse is definitely a luxury my hard working parents could not afford when I was little.
Jealousy ..lol
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Jealousy ..lol
Or perhaps just wishing for a bit of justice and equality in life?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Maybe the children will benefit from their mother having a horse!?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Maybe the children will benefit from their mother having a horse!?
If the little darlings round here are anything to go by I very much doubt it.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Clairranddaisy Im worrying incase something goes wrong, espcially if their attitude to horses is like it is to other animals as the mums said to me before that 'she wouldn't waste money and would have the animal pts if vet bills cost too much' they are horsey people but can't these animals be expensive? I walked their dog once who is generally well behaved but acted total spaniel and was more intrested in her nose and wheb I paniced I got hold of the owners whose attitude was shes chipped I'll get her back don't worry, I got her back eventually. And I do wonder what will happen if something happens and they get a unexpected bill, but more then that there are plenty of people who work hard and can't afford to do anything like keep a horse so how is it working in this situation, unless keeping a horse is cheaper then I think?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Clairranddaisy Im worrying incase something goes wrong, espcially if their attitude to horses is like it is to other animals as the mums said to me before that 'she wouldn't waste money and would have the animal pts if vet bills cost too much' they are horsey people but can't these animals be expensive? I walked their dog once who is generally well behaved but acted total spaniel and was more intrested in her nose and wheb I paniced I got hold of the owners whose attitude was shes chipped I'll get her back don't worry, I got her back eventually. And I do wonder what will happen if something happens and they get a unexpected bill, but more then that there are plenty of people who work hard and can't afford to do anything like keep a horse so how is it working in this situation, unless keeping a horse is cheaper then I think?
Don't worry, they'll more than likely toss the animal aside once it becomes too much bother or starts costing money. People like this (eg the chavs on my estate) have lived their whole lives with no responsibilities and know fine well some well meaning soul (eg the tax payer) will come along and solve all their problems for them. As a rule (based on what I witness on a daily basis) they don't care because they don't have to. That's what happens when you give people rights but waive their responsibilities.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
As long as she is aware horses need vaccinations too, also she will need to register the horse ownership to her, this costs as for the attitude of animals costing to much and having it PTS, well thats very costly with horses, then she has to rid of the body, so thats another thing to take into consideration.
The farrier for its feet, horses don't trim their own hooves, dentistry. Saddles and bridles all cost, horses don't just eat grass so she needs to think about what food and again depending on the horses age if its an older one like one of mine his food is more costly than the younger ones food.
Commitment of going to the field everyday to check on the horses welfare, the field rental...presume they don't own a field, shelter or stable, or livery stables (all cost)
The grooming brushes and combes , the rugs both in winter and colder nights (different types of rugs) if they get sweet-itch they may need a rug again to prevent this, veterinary treatment (call out fees) and treatment, is she going to use the horse for riding, if so she will need to really learn how to lunge it, as its better for the horse to have some schooling to get some manners.........
All these things and more need to be considered more than just paying out to buy one
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Just for info..I pay £160 a month for my two's livery.. (they are on grass) they are hardy natives and do not require feeding other than hay in the winter which is included in my livery..It cost me £50 to have both their feet trimmed once every 8-10wks, £84 a year for vaccinations..£100 a year for dentist..(BUT she will only have one horse so you need to half everything!

Then insurance which can be around £30 a month

(thats all folks!, obviously if she buys a TB etc then she will need hard feed, shoes etc)
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Well I hope so, as I know that these people have called others stupid for some things they've paid out on their animals but I would give my world for my animals even the ones that are 'just rabbits' and it would break my heart if something went wrong and I couldn't put it right, I really couldn't just casually say that I would have anyone pts, these animals have been more of a family to me then most of my family.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Just for info..I pay £160 a month for my two's livery.. (they are on grass) they are hardy natives and do not require feeding other than hay in the winter which is included in my livery..It cost me £50 to have both their feet trimmed once every 8-10wks, £84 a year for vaccinations..£100 a year for dentist..(BUT she will only have one horse so you need to half everything!

Then insurance which can be around £30 a month

(thats all folks!, obviously if she buys a TB etc then she will need hard feed, shoes etc)
And thats just a starting point isn't it hun
Page 4 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »